• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anything bad about the MSI 6800NU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i got my yesterday and i like it very much. it came in huge cardbox with alot of additional software (uru, XIII, prince of persia and other stuff).
the cooler looks much like the one on a 9800xt. it has a pot at the side so you can adjust the fan speed. this card gets really hot, at idle it says 94°C gpu temperature and 66°C ambient. dont know if these figures are correct, but you cant touch the hs for more than a second...
i upgraded from a ti4200 and it gave me a nice performance boost. i play farcry now at 1280*1024 everything high and doom at 1024*768 4xAA. 1280*1024 is also very playable in doom, but i get some lags when i get into new areas. it gets better at 1024, probably the card isnt the problem but my 512mb system ram...

np. i just did some timedemo benchmarks in doom3. might be interesting for you:

system as in sig
demo1
high quality, everything else set on, timedemo was run through 2 times at each setting

1024*768
/ - 47.6 FPS
2AA - 49.0 FPS
4AA - 40.8 FPS
8AA - 17.4 FPS

1280*1024
/ - 43.7 FPS
2AA - 38.5 FPS
4AA - 26.7 FPS
8AA - 9.1 FPS

1600*1200
/ - 34.9 FPS
2AA - 27.4 FPS

EDIT: cpu was at 200*11 not 220 as in sig
EDIT2: using detonator 61.77

Last edited:
hey, i have solved my heat problem ... the fan wasnt spinning! :eek:
i installed the card two days ago and of course i checked the fan and everything was alright.
yesterday i checked my temps and couldnt belive my eyes, over 90°C in idle! i thought that those cant be the correct numbers. today i deinstalled the card to look how i could fit a cpu hs on it, and found the fan stuck. the hub of the fan came a few millimeters down and the blades got stuck at the housing then.
everything seems to be alright now, working @ 56°C idle.

You should be concerned about this, especially when the BFG6800GT-OC sits at 49'C idle.. Almost 100'C idle on your card? That just doesn't seem right.... Check the fan.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this card, it only has a 1 year warranty.

eVGA = Bad Warranty, Bad Packin software
MSI = Bad Warranty, great packin software
BFG = Unmatched warranty and support, no packin software.

Personally, i'd go with the BFG, I could care less about getting some old games with my graphics card, I want performance, warranty and support.

Also, I highly recommend NOT getting a 6800NU and going with a GT instead. The first card I bought was a 6800NU and I had issues with it, and it was just too slow compared to the GT. 6800NU seems to have a 4xAA bug (try it in Doom3 on 1600x1200 and it freezes), and they don't overclock that well.

Did you try Doom3 at 1600x1200 with 4xAA and see the bug? That really pissed me off, obviously a flaw somewhere, and it only seems to effect the 6800NU's... If I take my BFG6800GT and downclock everything to NU levels, then go into Doom3 on 1600x1200 4xAA, I don't have the freeze troubles. Which is highly suspicious.

bfg cards arent available in germany...
besides that i like the 6800nu very much, it has more than enough power for my needs. i wouldnt play @ 1600*1200 anyway.
the 100°C didnt concerned me cause a) i was absolutely sure that the card is working right and b) a guy in the [H] forum wrote that his bfg gt is also at around 100...

Kobra, you had a bad card, the 6800nu is a very good alternative to the GT. I don't know what the hell you talking about bad overclock, mines at 400, 910 right now. And I do play at 4x and have no bug, or any issues, and its always silky smooth.

what brand is that card? also, is this on stock cooling? what are your temps at? what do you use for overclocking, coolbits?
questions over questions ;)

Jarlaxe said:
Kobra, you had a bad card, the 6800nu is a very good alternative to the GT. I don't know what the hell you talking about bad overclock, mines at 400, 910 right now. And I do play at 4x and have no bug, or any issues, and its always silky smooth.

Bad Card I doubt, bad manufacturing run i'd believe.. I tested 2 different ones, both eVGA.. But then again, I confirmed the 4xAA bug with 6 other people on different forums but only can confirm with eVGA owners.

Try it on your 6800Vanilla.. Go into Doom3, change resolution to 1600x1200, high quality, then set 4xAA on, and restart game. Then run the timedemo, and watch what happens.. We're talking 1 FPS or total freezeups. Now I cannot confirm if this happens with other NU's, but i'm suspecting it does, it definately happens on eVGA 6800's.

Anyway, i'm very glad I went with a GT over the NU. I woulda felt "Underpowered" with the NU. But it still has an attractive price for those that can't hit up a $400 card.

BFG = Unmatched warranty and support, no packin software.

Personally, i'd go with the BFG, I could care less about getting some old games with my graphics card, I want performance, warranty and support.
The BFG comes with Far Cry.
http://www.bfgtech.com/6800OC.html

I would really consider trying to get a friend in america or somewhere to ship ya one in a few days when they hit the shelves.

Back