• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing motherboard for Athlon64 754

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taralieth

Hello. I am going to get a new computer for university and I need help in choosing a motherboard.

So far, I looked at:
ASUS K8V-SE DELUXE viaK8T800
MSI KT8 NEO viaK8T800

and MSI K8N Neo Platinum nVidia nForce 3 250Gb

I was wondering, what is the advantage of getting an nForce 3 motherboard over the via K8T800. The nForce 3 mobos in general seem to cost more and is it worth the extra cost to get them? I'm on a budget so lower cost is preferable unless shelling out extra $$ is really worth it. Which would you recommend?

Get nForce 3 or K8T800 Pro... doesn't matter which one. Don't get the MSI board, people have had alot of problems with them. The Asus would be great IMO

Wait for the dfi 754 nf3 250 board. All you need to know is that Opptainer says it is the best board he has ever had. It should blow every other mobo away...infact it did being that opp used it to put up the best 3d01 score. It should be out in the next few weeks(end of Aug. early sep.) for about the same price of the nf2 lan party.

The question at this point should be the following:

1- Do you plan to overclock and if so, just a little or quite a bit?
2- If yes, waiting for the DFI might be worth it (a month or so...). If no, your setup is just fine IMO. Also, I would add that the longer you plan on keeping this rig and overclocking it, the more value there is in waiting for the DFI 754 board. If you're going to upgrade in a year or so, the 939 DFI board should be out with mainstream processors at a good price (maybe dual core?)

Enjoy

The dfi board will be shipped on Sep. 2nd and you should be able to preorder them at zzf today, so waiting does not factor in. Any processor or video card in my main rig will always be cooled well below 0c.

The question is whether the performance gain is worth it, and currently is not. Doom3 runs way too well on my machines to warrant an upgrade. If hl2 or rome total war do not run well I will probably upgrade.

The dfi 939 nf3 250 sample boards should be sent out in the next few weeks, and has to be released in the next few months being that nf4 boards will be coming out soon after.

I guess I might have to let this super board go and hope that dfi keeps putting out boards like this. Hopefully some game will come out in the next few months that runs at like 10fps on my machine that will force me to upgrade.

Back