• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

College Requires use of McAffee

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

My college in its infinite wisdom decided to require us to use McAffee antivirus in order to connect to the internet. No McAffee = No Internet. To me this is bulls**t. I have nortons and the reason I use nortons is because McAffee hosed my system when I used it. Also if I install the required McAffee it will cause major conflicts with Nortons. So I call on the overclocking community, how can I fight this?

Unless it requires a certian firewall, I agree with tom.. "how does it know?"

Some guy named bob moves in and just lounges around with a tv and wire cutters. If he doenst see you using mcaffee he cuts teh wires.

^^ lol

i dont see how they could tell unless they scan your computer - which is an invasion of privacy if they dont have some contract about it - it is also like them making a "monopoly" in the college.

I would think in this college they would know what a real virus scanner is, not one that fubar's your boot sector on many occasions.

from the email I recieved along with every other merrimack student

Many things will be different on campus when you return this fall. The first thing you’ll notice is the complete transformation of the roads and parking in the middle of campus! After you move into your new room and try to connect your Windows computer to the campus network you’ll see something else new—the required use of McAfee VirusScan and an up-to-date operating system. You will not be able to use the campus network if you do not meet these requirements.

The best way to prevent a recurrence of last year’s network disruptions is to make sure that Windows virus software and operating systems are current and maintained. This is not all that difficult to do—most of you do so already!

Are you ready?

BEFORE you get to campus, make sure your operating system is up-to-date and configured to update itself. Visit the StartSafe-Update site for instructions.

BEFORE you get to campus, install the college-provided standard anti-virus—McAfee VirusScan. You can now install McAfee VirusScan from home. Visit the StartSafe-Antivirus site for instructions.

How will network access be restricted?

We are in the process of installing a Network Authentication and Validation system from Perfigo. When you access the campus network, Perfigo will ask you for your campus username and password and then install a small security program on your computer to help verify that your computer is “clean.” Clean computers are granted full access to the network. “Unclean” computers will be sent to a quarantine area with network access to the tools needed to remedy any problems.

The reply i recieved after emailing the director to see if Norton's is allowed

View As Web Page

Q: Is McAfee REALLY required?
A: Yes. It has been our OVERWHELMING experience that MOST students believe they have virus protection when, in fact, they have an expired 90 day trial. We do not believe McAfee to be superior to any other particular product. We understand that some users do have a fully functional antivirus program. Our intent is not to punish or inconvenience these people but to ensure that EVERY student is protected. The most efficient way to do this is to require--and be able to effectively check for--a specific product. The college provides this software at no cost to you.

Cheers,
Rand

Please STARTsafe and RUNsafe -- www.merrimack.edu/runsafe

Install the Merrimack-provided McAfee VirusScan software
BEFORE connecting to the network

1. Download McAfee VirusScan by entering your campus username and
password here, (Also available on the RESNET Companion CD at the
Help Desk in exchange for a blank CDR.)
2. Uninstall any other anti-virus software you may have by
clicking Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove
Software and selecting the software package
(McAfee, Norton, etc.).
3. Restart your computer.
4. Unzip VirusScan.zip into a folder on your computer.
1. Run SETUP.EXE in the folder you just unzipped to
2. PATIENTLY wait for the "You need to reboot now" window. This can
take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour or more. If your PC is
slow or infected this WILL take a while. Be patient.
3. Reboot.
4. Wait for VirusScan to finish its reboot cleanup (which can take a while)

i never read norton isnt allowed. notice it said a thing "scans your computer to make sure its clean". they are just using mcafee cuz its free, if your norton keeps your computer clean, then you shouldnt have any problems.

Q: Is McAfee REALLY required?
A: Yes. It has been our OVERWHELMING experience that MOST students believe they have virus protection when, in fact, they have an expired 90 day trial. We do not believe McAfee to be superior to any other particular product. We understand that some users do have a fully functional antivirus program. Our intent is not to punish or inconvenience these people but to ensure that EVERY student is protected. The most efficient way to do this is to require--and be able to effectively check for--a specific product. The college provides this software at no cost to you.

That says it is, and I can't run both, because as just happened when I installed it on my test machine, nortons and macafees it locks up the system sortly after boot to the desktop

Even though I run Mcafee I would me upset like you, in bieng forced to run a certain product... Is there an appeal process? Or just run the required software protection. This can be from a logistic standpoint of getting the erorrs in one product and not all over the board. One product, one support for problems. Kinda cheezy IMO though.

I am actually thinking about trying to set a meeting up with the head, and then if he gets me no wear, to go to the dean.

And in protest I remove me Merrimack Avatar

You could always beat the admin over the head with your McAffee disc.

Or just get a cable line in the dorm, and then get a cable modem. But, if you do that, you'd might as well just get an apartment.

If you have to live on campus, just live with it. At least they're making an attempt at providing a secure networking environment (HAHAHAHA OH GOD MY SIDES HURT HAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA) by making you install some antivirus. It'd be nice if they forced ZoneAlarm, too.

yeah and I guarentee that the problems we had last year will continue this year. The network techs were so inept that the couldn't stop a virus from infecting the whole network causing massive slow downs. Instead of shutting the network down for a day or so, and cleaning out the infecting one computer at a time, the let it spread.

How about this:
Go into McAffee settings and disable all Virus scanning
Run MSCONFIG
Select Startup
Uncheck anything that relates to McAffee
Reboot the computer to make sure McAffee is not running
If McAffee is NOT running then install Norton's again

That way you could use Norton's and if they ever scanned your computer they would find McAffee installed.

I would also worry about spyware. Ad-aware and Spybot are good for removing them. Having a lot of it can sure make your computer run much slower. The school does not worry about spyware because it is not contageous.

Mr. Ed we think on the same wavelength, I have been researching ways to do this for about 10 minutes now.

wait a second, this begs a question, what about students who use linux? I doubt they are smart enough to check the OS version of computers on their network, so would this not hose any linux users as MCAfee isn't available for linux?

roof Jumper. I am very active in the physics department, and almost anything related to computers on campus. There are no Linux users to my knowledge. But it does raise a good point and one that I will raise with the head of technological services

Back