• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moving to a townhouse want to cable it right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
i have cabled two houses before but they were both kinda of amature

one we ran some 2 inch eletric conduit from the basement wall out side to the roof ( and ran the wires threw that) 3 eithernets ( 1 used) and 2 coax ( 1 used) to each room of the 3 rooms everything was attached to a patchpannel on a peice of ply wood in the basement ( unfiinihed)

the other one was just a smimple run that we made by drilling holes in the back corrner of the main floor closet and the upstairs closet (3 sotries) and runing the cables up from the basment

it all came to gether at my roomates desk with a linksys router

for my house i would like to have 2 eithernet ( 1 for later use) and 1 coax and 1 phone going to each room

I know how to put in the wall jack
i know how to crimp cat-5 ( do you think i should go with cat-6?)

what i dont know is how to setup the wirecloset

what ill need or anything like that
ive seen some setups but they look proirtary to me like if i buy them i can only get stuff from them in the future

any pics of your setups would be grealy appreshated
thanks

Check out the post by Celeron_Phreak. Its pics of his place that he and i wired. At the end of this post i will give a link to more photos.

If you want to do it right, I suggest starting out by reading the technical documents at the levitonvoicedata.com site, reguarding structured wiring. It gives specific examples reguarding EIA/TIA standards for wiring.

I would first start out by getting a floor plan together, and deciding on how many wall jacks do you want in each room, followed up by how many keystones and what type per jack. What i mean by this is how many types of connectors, like you stated you want 2 data, 1 coax and 1 voice. I would recomend if you are not planning for fiber IW, using 2 data, 2 coax and 2 voice. The two coax are for sat tv and antenna, or you can place a vcr in one room, go to the centrallized wiring closet and patch things around, so that you can watch that vcr or dvd player in another room.... something of sorts like that.

Then, i would decide on cableing. You ask about cat6. Cat6 is really not much more expensive than cat5e, so go for it. Coax, you can use regular RG-6u. Voice, use cat5e, or cat6. I have added you to my aol buddy list so we can chat there if you want, as the list goes on further and further. lol

Linkage:
http://ftp.dbnetworkz.com/networking_photos

I chose to run two cat5e (one for voice and one for data) and a single quad-shield-rg6 to each termination point. Each room however, has two termination points.

My rack is in the basement so I cut out a section of drywall and ran three 1.5" pvc sleeves from the attic to the basement. I hope to finish terminating the telephone in the rack this weekend so I can get the slack out of the lines and get everything fastened into a single bundle w/velcro.

The grey cat5's are the voice lines.
MVC-628S.JPG

MVC-627S.JPG

Back of rack.
MVC-630S.JPG

Telephone block.
MVC-631S.JPG

Sleeves in basement (and a few loose voice lines that have yet to be pulled to the rack).
MVC-632S.JPG

MVC-633S.JPG

very nice indeed

however can i make one suggestions

465730.gif

cut the wire ties

how much did that rack cost you

i find they are pretty expensive

Thanks for the compliments. :santa:

Rofl, I'll cut the cableties once everything is punched down.

The rack came from Cable & Connector Technologies:Homepage. I believe that I had paid about $130 for the rack and like $15 for shipping. SK8 has recently purchased a rack from them so maybe shoot him a PM and see how dealing with them was. I noticed some complaints on resellerratings a few months ago and it was close to 2 years ago that I got my rack from them, but I didn't have any problems at all..

The 24pt cat5e patch panel & wire management panels also came from CCT.
The 6pt splitter is from HomeTech solutions.
The rest came from MilesTek: HomePage

The sticker came from a WiSPCon (Homepage) in which myself and the other admin were scheduled to attend. Due to circumstance I had to stay and baby sit our network while he attended. As a joke he brought me back the sticker & a T-Shirt. :-/

Back