• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCW6000 oxidization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quicksilverXP

I recently received an MCW6000, and while it kept the original color nicely for a while, it has been oxidizing pretty bad lately, like any other copper block, except anyone who knows an MCW knows that the top is copper as well, so the oxidization is visible. I've tried using clearcoat, but somehow air finds its way in there and it still oxidizes (although more slowly) and even nail polish (which actually worked a little better, but looks ugly).

I want to paint it as a last resort, like silver or something, and was wondering is there anything I should do in painting copper.

You may have to redo it every month or so, but why don’t you polish it. Get some decent metal polish that leaves a thin protective coating, and it may not even be every month.

Polished copper does look very good, probably nicer than most paint-jobs.

Well, I have this product called Copper Glo that is a copper polish that easily removes the oxidization and is also said to reduce it in the future? However, it still keeps coming back. For a thin protective coating, wouldn't that be something like what I used.... like a clearcoat or some kind of wax?

Man...

if suggestion including any kind of auto polish product... i would say ZAINO is the best..

This may not help you but it is a fun fact, my grandmother used cigarrette ashes to polish the silverware....it may help you with the copper then you can put a light coat of oil or something...

I was thinking about this, and maybe try some Liquid Glass automotive wax. Its actually acrylic-based, and after curing in the sun for a while, it forms a protective barrier. If nothing else, you'll also be able to use it for your car, since it does an amazing job. A real time saver after the first proper application.

Otherwise Copper Glo should work - are you sure you're following the directions exactly?

Why do you think it oxidized? Do you have aluminium in the loop? Do you use Hydrix? Do you use the aluminium radiator (double 120mm?)

BillA said:
copper + air

= oxidation. ;)

Martindemon, you're thinking about corrosion. What Quicksilver is talking about is oxidation on the outside of the block. It looks like little black spots.

Ah ok now I'm reassured :) I am beginning to like those Swiftech blocks. Did you use the GPU waterblock that contains anodized aluminium in the loop? If so, did you experience corrosion?

Swiftech products in general are great, and bill is always around in almost all forums:)
i have been using mine with a GPU waterblock that contains anodized aluminium and its fine so far i checked about 3 days ago, and i have been running it like that for 2 months or so. :thup:

what i did with my 6002 was i sanded it, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 and then i polished it.

Last edited:
Back