• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which would be better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

Which do you think would be better?

230mhz FSB on AMD 2600+ Mobile at 2.5-3-3-7
OR
240mhz FSB on AMD 2600+ Mobile at 2.5-4-4-11

These are exact #'s it's just that I keep trying with different volts/timeings with my memory to try to get 240 stable... and I refuse to go any looser than 2.5-4-4-11. But I was wondering if timeings that loose would loose enough performance that 230 with tighter timeings would be better...

I know usually people are just like "run sandra on each and whatever one is better, keep it" but I was hoping to maybe save a few hours of time by having an idea of which would be better...

Definitely the 230 @ 2.5-3-3-7 IMO. Tighter timings with such a "small" MHz gain like that should make a pretty significant difference.

Sandra is a quick way to tell, yes. It's definitely worth a shot. Also give 3DMark2001 a run if you can...it's a quick reference, and a good way to make sure I'm telling you correctly. Remember...every system is different. :D

Hehe now i'm even having troubles getting 230 stable...
I don't get it... I was going at 240 stable all the way till the very end of Test 5, then when I tryed backing off I started getting even more errors within the first 10 seconds of the first test!

I don't think my memory and northbridge can decide what voltage they would like to run at... it's odd because say I test something with 2.9v on vdimm and it's stable, I restart it and set it to 5 less mhz and try again, and it's totally unstable.

Hehe... how much are those OCZ memory boosters again? :p

Back