• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Must get rid of the LED's on fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Hey all, I have two intake fans on the side, one 80mm and the other is 120mm (both thermaltake, the big one is the thunderblade), and they both have bright blue LED's. I was just wondering if there was a way to get rid of the LED's without having to get new fans. Thank's for your time.

magick_man said:
try snipping the wires going to the led's
and if the fan works then good if not then i will deny ever saying this

That should work. Try snipping two wires for one led 1st. If the fan still works like I think it would then turn it off and do the others.

if it has a strip around the fan for the leds then just snip it, i did that (not on purpose) and the fan works fine still but no leds.

Great, thanks for the advice... as far as I remember, they both have some sort of strip running around the edge. You guys probabily think I am crazy for doing this, lol. I just think that they are way too bright at night... sometimes I just need to leave my PC running, and I can't sleep with those LED's on. Also, until I get a better mobo; this one hates OCing, and everytim I try to OC it, it has cold boot issues :-/ Well, thanks for the advice guys.

The LEDs are probably wired in series, so one cut should be all you need.

Another thing you could do is 7 volt the fans. The fans would be quieter and the LEDs would go out due to insufficent voltage.

Ken

Last edited:
Maybe instead of just sniping the wires going to the LEDs, you could run an extention, and put a switch somewhere....

neonblingbling said:
Maybe instead of just sniping the wires going to the LEDs, you could run an extention, and put a switch somewhere....

I was thinking that too... Seems like such a waste, but I know how you feel. Sometimes I leave my comp on @ night and I got 3 blue 80mm (two on the back and one on the window) and a blue 120mm front blowhole (all there is modders mesh infront of the fan) so my room glows a bright blue. I am thinking tho of doing a switch myself.

Back