• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a router, help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

galador

I have been brushing up on how to use a router from these forums, but one answer eludes me. What is a good cheap router to use. I will have 2 pc's and maybe 1 cs server ( later on). I am not looking for anything special, just something that will do it's job. It can be a wired or wireless router. ( all pc's are in the same room). I am using Roadrunner cable service.

If price is an option then get a reasonably price wired router from one of the major manufacturers (e.g. Linksys, Netgear) for about $40. If price is *really* an option then check ebay for people who just upgraded their router and want to see the old one, or try out one of the no-name brands for around $25.

Honestly there isn't that much difference between manufacturers anymore and they'll all do what you need. If you already have a hub or a switch then you can save a few bucks by looking for a router with a single LAN port.

Good Luck!

I have 3 routers , 2 of which im using , 3rd on is a back up

2 are Linksys which are some sweet routers , only using one of them right now. Wireless B its been up for just over a year now with no problems

3 one is a D-link , its been working for 3 or 4 months now with out a problem , its my brother in law and he has been using it for a few yrs with out any problems

both are really great brand and usally can be found for a great deal

Is there any speed difference between wired and wireless routers. I do enjoy a good game of BF 1942 or Counter strike.

The speed to the internet is the same. The wireless-connected computers will be slower talking to your LAN then the wire-connected ones. But your connection to the internet is slower still (relatively speaking, anyway), so that would remain the bottleneck.

I am getting the impression that going with a wired router would be my best choice when it comes to online gaming.

Compusa had a netgear wired for 10 bux after rebate this week and a wireless for 20 AR. I personally would go with a wireless router because they still have a 4 port switch on them to connect with a cable but will have the wirless option. THose offers probably ended today but check the sunday paper tomarrow and see what deals are out there. I'd go with the least expensive as I have tried linksys, Dlink, and Netgear and found no performance difference between them.

Back