• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calling all Everquest fans: Winters Roar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malakai

Winters Roar is a really good player run server. There is no god modes, item summoning, instant leveling, or any other crap like that. It has all the basic rules and such of regular everquest, with a custom world, custom mobs, and a custom story AND custom religions. Leveling is *slightly* faster than EQ Live, but just enough to make the lower levels a little less tedious.

About 20 of us from Genmay have been playing for about 2 weeks now, and we've all been having a blast. You should come check it out if you're an old EQ fan, or if you've never played EQ but don't want to pay to play.

The server is of course 100% free.

I only played eq for about a week on live, so this is like my first EQ experience. It's a ton of fun, so if you've never played you should come check it out.

http://www.wintersroar.com/

All the info you could ever want about it is in the Winter's Roar thread at genmay here, I suggest you read it up to at least page 4 at 50 posts per page. Follow the instructions on the winters roar site.

NOTE: You do NOT need to own everquest to play, Sony offers EQ for free off their website, just register a station account and download the trilogy, then install the expansions via the patcher. Get EQ here:
http://everquest.station.sony.com/trilogy/download.jsp

Remember, the 30 day thing applies to sony servers only, you can play for free on WR forever. If you like it, a little donation is encouraged, as the server and GM's are all awesome. The average number of players is around 100 at any time, less late at night and around 130 or so in the evenings. The world is set up with only 2 starting cities so that even though there are only around 100 people playing, you are always around lots of other people, makes it feel much more alive than even an EQ live server with 1200 people on it.

Isn't this a copyright infringement against Sony or is the server-side client openly given out?

Yeah I'd like a little more info on when exactly the SOE secret service will kick in my door and execute me for failure to pay them their monthly fee.

If it's all cool though I may play. I use to have a 60 wizard 54 war 49 cleric and 35 chanter on The Rathe in an "uber guild". I quit right after POP came out.

I bought SWG and that game was so horrible I swore never to buy another SOE game again. Now that I've seen EQ2 I have taken back my word and am planning on buying it.

Would be cool if I could get back in the EQ swing with some free EQ until EQ2 comes out.

They only charge a fee for playing on their servers. That's where your money goes. If you buy the game from Best Buy or wherever and then don't install it, it's the same thing. People have been doing this with UO for years and years. There's nothing wrong with it. It's like making a mod for an FPS or whatever.

Well then the second my computer is back together you'll probably see my smiling face in there. It's only Kunark and Velious correct? So no improved Luclin graphics?

Inceptor said:
Well then the second my computer is back together you'll probably see my smiling face in there. It's only Kunark and Velious correct? So no improved Luclin graphics?

It uses the improved graphics, but custom zones.

THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT EMU SERVERS

Glad that's out of the way.

It's actually all expansions up to Planes of Power.. the Trilogy just happens to be what anyone in the world can download.

Permanoob said:
It's actually all expansions up to Planes of Power.. the Trilogy just happens to be what anyone in the world can download.

You can download the other expansions via the everquest client's patcher at no charge :)

Malakai said:
You can download the other expansions via the everquest client's patcher at no charge :)

Indeed you can.. took about an hour and a half to get everything for me. Problem is now I can't create an account via the game. Says it can't connect to the server.

Im gonna definatly have to check this out. I havent played EQ in years, and miss my Erudite Shadowknight (not as gimped as one might think...though that did make it a pain in the *** to find groups sometimes, when people played with me, they quickly learned my value ;))

I wouldnt pay to play EQ again, but this definatly looks promising

Downloading now. Been wanting to play for awhile but I will not pay to play ANY game. Thanks for the oppurtunity.

Well that was a waste of time. Took forever to get the game to install correctly and start an account. Even longer to jump through all the hoops to play on a non sony or whomever server. When I finally get in I'm presented with a game that is just sad to view. Those graphics are terrible, game play is over complex,...I could go on but I'm gonna get back to FarCry now.

I am glad to see someone hosting a nonpay server but the game is just to disappointing to me to play.

It's like a nearly 8 year old MMORPG, not an FPS. Takes a little while to get use to everything and a pretty long time to max out your character.

The graphics were made much better with the Luclin expansion but you can't really compare Everquest to Far Cry.....

Naw Remove has a point.. when I finally got logged in it was pretty disappointing. Laggy.. textures are messed up.. just not what I was expecting.

I thought the same thing. I quit EQ earlier this year and after playing the WoW stress test, was kinda in the mood to fire up EQ, but didn't wanna re-activate my account. Then i ran across this post. Got everything set up, logged on and the graphics just looked washed out or something more than i remember. I dunno, just seemed something was off. Wasn't many folks on when i played and it was laggy as hell.

Good idea, but it's just not the same. Plus, starting over from scratch is a pain in the butt and it made me remember how hard it was starting new. Thanks for the link, but if i need an EQ fix, i'll just re-activate my account :)

Textures messed up? Laggy?

Odd, I don't have any of those problems. Just follow the instructions on the page, replace 2 files in the EQ directory, and run the game via the WR Patcher, and you're set.

Back