• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lil layzie

Registered
I just placed my order for a AMD64 3400+. Hopefully it's a Clawhammer CG.

I plan on getting the DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250Gb Motherboard

and a gig of OCZ DDR PC-3500 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Dual Channel Memory or 2x512mb sticks of OCZ DDR PC-3500 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Memory. Depending on which is cheaper.

So how does my future system look? I plan on reusing some of the parts in my old system in case your wondering.

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 w/ Zalman CNPS3100-Plus
Asus A7A266
640mb pc133 SDRAM (128mb Generic + 512mb Corsair)
80GB Seagate 8mb HD, 30GB Seagate 2mb HD
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum + Logitech Z-680
ThermalTake Black Butterfly 480w PSU

What I mainly want to do with my system is play games. I do plan to OC a little but not right away so that's why I'm going with the pc-3500 to give it a little headroom for future OCing.

A few questions.

1. Since I'm not OCing right away, will I have problems running the ram at a lower rated speed?
2. Does anyone know where to get the ram I listed? I can't seem to find any at NewEgg.
3. Should I get pc3200 instead or go with pc3500 since I will be OCing in the near future?
4. Do you think I'll make it to atleast 2.5ghz on stock air?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm open for any suggestions and comments. So please do so. This is my first system that I'm going to be building and I want it to be perfect. :D

You can purchase at Atacom.com. I was going to with that ram, but went with crucial ballistix based on anandtech review and price. Nice system.

If I were you, I would wait until Nvidia came out with a socket 939 chipset. The dual channel memory gives a big boost in speed, and you'll be able to upgrade more.
The 9800 should run hunky-dory with air, so long as you use a good thermal paste and a honking-big heatsink. A fan is a necessity, of course.
The 3400+ should be able to reach 2.5 on air, as the 2800+ is able to do that, despite having a clock speed 400mhz lower. Get a Thermalright SP-97 heatsink, Arctic Silver 5, and very fast fan, and it should run well enough. Xoxide had 15$ waterblocks a while ago, though, so if weight is not an issue (Imagine taking a watercooled system to a lanparty?) you might consider going that route.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions, but I have my mind set around a 3400+ system. I assume its going to be very faster than my current 1.4tbird computer. I already bought a 3400+ chip anyways and hopefully it should be in by the end of this following week. Bascially I'm just having trouble deciding on the ram. I don't know if I should get pc3500 or pc3700. I don't plan on OC'ing right away, but I will in the future. I just want the extra headroom on the ram so I can OC when it comes down to it. What do you think?

well with a A64 system, the Thermalright SP-97 doesnt go on it, the Thermalright SLK948U or the XP-90/120 will work.

and on the Ram, since you are going for a CPU that wont need as high clocks, i would save the money and get the PC3500, you wont be pushing the clocks as far and thus you dont need the faster quoted ram

Back