• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know what a 1.6a northwood can do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hey all,

I have a 1.6a northwood chip that I got from grampa....he likes to upgrade.

I have it running at 133x16, but I have crummy pc2100 memory. I am considering upgrading to some pc3200 so I can run higher fsb at 1:1 with memory....HOWEVER, I don't want to waste my money on ram if I won't get much higher than the 2.2ghz its at. It does it fine at stock voltage. Anyone know what I can expect from this chip? I saw plenty of them doing 3ghz in the cpu database, but I have air cooling.

-Collin-

PC2100 should be able to run 135-138ish so if your CPU does that without a hickup it might be worth considering getting some PC3200 that you'd still be able to use in a future upgrade. However you won't prolly get THAT much higher to really notice a difference but it's always fun getting the max. out of your chip...

what revision is the chip? B0 craps out at 2.2 / 2.5Ghz, while C1 hits 3.0+ (they can take ALOT of juice..had one running 1.9v for 3 months w/o damage)

Hmmm.....I thought a 1.6a HAD to be a B0 stepping. Were they making C0 steppings back then? I will look up the code if there is a possibility of it being a C0 stepping. How do I tell?

-Collin-

1.6A Pentium 4s were some of the craziest overclockers ever. Its well worth trying with some faster RAM. I beleive some people got them up to over 3GHz

As far as I know, the 1.6A was only made in the B0 stepping. I would say 3 gig in not average because it requires excellent cooling, a mobo that will handle those high FSB speeds and a lot of luck. Most 1.6A seem to average between 2.2 gig to 2.7 gig. What mobo is this going in? If you have a mobo that allows 5:4 ratio, then you can test the CPU to see how high it will go before deciding to get new RAM.

good idea batboy. I can run it async to see if its worth it. It is a gigabyte GA-sinxp that is VERY capable of higher fsb. I will go home and try it.

-Collin-

Looks like I have the B0 stepping. :(

I was able to boot at 160x16 though, which a hell of an overclock for this chip!

*sigh* I need a prescott. How are these chips on the used market?

-Collin-

My old rig is a P4 1.6A on an Abit TH7II-R. I was able to get it up to 165FSB (2.64GHz). However, I had to bump V-core up to neear 1.7V & temps started climbing. RDRAM had to be set at 3/4 speed to run that fast. I kept it at 140FSB (2.24GHz) for a LONG time. At that speed it was completely stable at stock voltages & I could run the RAM @ 1:1 which gave me some nice memory bandwidth(SiSoft Sandra near 3500) numbers. Good luck!
-Dave

Back