• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on a laptap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

Folding on a laptop

My cousin said I could borg her laptop under my name, however I was just wondering because it's a laptop I probably don't wanna set it to 100% CPU usage as I hear those suckers can get hot enough. Do you guys have any idea what a reasonable load would be, and keep in mind that she said she ususally has it on for 12 hours a day and it just sits there for about 8.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly I don't know, I think it's like a intel mobile something or centrino or whatever (forgive my lack of knowledge about laptops, never had one)

hmmm, I personally dont' fold on laptops(have a nice 2 ghz dothan) just due to the heat issue and all the componens being so close, if you want to I would think 50% would be safe, but in all honesty I can't say I'd recommend it(I'm not an expert) but I'd just borg her desktop 'n call it good

borg that sucker and set it to 100% cpu usage..if it can't handle it then it is broke. I have a peny 4 2.6 DELL INSPIRON folding 24/7 and have had zero problems and those are a bad designed laptop. does her laptop run 24/7? is it always connected to the net? these are questions i would be more concerned about than heat.

TalRW said:
she said she ususally has it on for 12 hours a day and it just sits there for about 8.

I know she usually has an always on internet connection, as sometimes she is on AIM for days at a time so either way.

I fold on my laptop but I don't know if I would recommend for someone else to do it. I leave it on at night but I leave plenty of space around it and usually set it up on its side because it does get hot. If you do you may want to turn the CPU usage down just to be safe.

Clint

I run Find-A-Drug on my laptop. Not quite 24/7, I won't run it when I'm not in, but it does get a good few hours a day. It does indeed get warm, but I make sure there is space around it and have it sitting on top of a PC case, because the metal helps the heat disperse. Not very well, but better than nothing.

I did check if it was safe to crunch on a laptop before I started. Lots of people do.

FizzledFiend said:
borg that sucker and set it to 100% cpu usage..if it can't handle it then it is broke. I have a peny 4 2.6 DELL INSPIRON folding 24/7 and have had zero problems and those are a bad designed laptop. does her laptop run 24/7? is it always connected to the net? these are questions i would be more concerned about than heat.

um yea... so you go and waste someone elses laptop... yea folding is important but i would much rather be sure i wasn't about to break something of someone else...

I think I'll take the advice above, I'll let her know about the heat issue and set it to use about 50% cpu usage if she thinks thats reasonable.

yes make sure she doesn't like crowd the laptop with too much stuff. and if she feels her battery life is affected too much you can set it to run only when plugged in.

The only real way to know is try. Borrow the lappy for a couple of hours. Then run folding @ 100%.. Now baby sit it.. It's either gonna get too hot or it won't. I've been tinkering around (no pun intended) with running 2 instances on my HT P4 and it only goes on high fan for 2 minutes out of 5 while on my lap and on a table with air circulation it's less than a minute out of 5. Just make sure though to set cooling performance to aggressive in the lappy's power properties if it has them.

I have my laptop set to 100%. I don't really care if it dies because I'll just send it back for another one. When I'm using it is when I usually turn it down so it doesn't burn my lap. On someone elses laptop I'd say set it to like 50%-75% to be safe.

Back