• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reattaching Vid card chip HS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DBZ

Ok just a quick recap of what happened, bought sapphire 9800 pro r360core Samsung card from Newegg, attached VGA silencer Rev 3 on it, broke off the little plastic thing that was attached to some small chip on the video card near the power plug. You can see what I’m talking about by clicking this link http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-268-05.jpg/14-102-268-03.JPG/14-102-268-02.JPG

I used AtiTool to test to see if card flashable to XT by ocing it to 412/365, got yellow artifact on screen, lowered the mem down to 360 and it ran 30mins without any prob. Some peoples suggest that with that plastic thing broke off it might be the cause of not being able to get mem to 365. The little plastic HS looking thing was glued onto the small chip, so I was thinking maybe I can reattach it but the question is what glue/material do I use for it without it interfering with heat transfer…. if there is actually any and wont short circuit the board? Any help/hint would be much appreciated…and oh yeah sorry its not a quick recap heh, here is the link to the original post if you guys want to read the whole story http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=328970 its the 2 9800pro card, 2 diff result post.

Artic Alumina epoxy would be the ideal solution. You could also use a small amount of thermal paste in the center of the chip then super glue the heatsink onto the corners or along the edges.

Thanx for the advice bro but the chip itself is super small, is a lil smaller than 1/4 of an inch so I don't think i can superglue it. I think I'll look for the AA epoxy and play around with that, it would not short circuit any chip or create a bridge if i get it on the board would it? Sorry if I soun paranoid but I don't want to ruin my new $200.00 card heh.

Artic Alumina epoxy is safe to use because it is neither conductive nor capacitive. Artic Silver epoxy on the other hand is slightly capacitive and therefore probably not a good idea to use in this situation.

Much appreciated for the great info, thanx again.

Back