• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adaware Personal or Professional?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Is the professional version worth 40 dollars? or is the personal verison good enough?

yup I bought pro before the current pro se version came out and it was not worth the money. Like sententinel said free works fine.

This is what I can say....... as long as the free version can clean out all your problems...... like stopping the popup windows, changing your default homepage...........etc. Stick with the free version. Most of the time, these software companies give out free version as a publicity. The only main difference is just some advance features, that usualy only system administrators will need, which are not used by regular consumers. Just like Sygate firewall. I'm not sure if sygate still have the free version for personal use anymore though.....

diggingforgold said:
Pro comes with active scanning and blocking of adware. Kinda like an active virus shield. I don't think it's worth $40 though.

i already have a popup blocker which does a very good job so i guess ill just get the personal one. no point in having more active processes in the background.

I had good luck with the free version. My info is a little dated(when it come specifically to Ad-Aware), but the reason I even know about spybot is because it was not finding what I knew was there. If you are simply trying to decide bewtween the free and pro, I'd still use the free and supliment it with SpyBot. The free(and only) version of spybot has all of the features of the pro version of Ad-Aware that I know of.

Best Combination of Spyware/Adaware/Pop-up Blocking software i have found to date is:

Latest Ad-Aware Personal (For detecting & removing spyware / adware)
Spybot Search & Destroy (Removes Spyware, Also prevents know spyware from installing. Latest version has active spyware detection to block spyware as it tries to install)
Spyware Blaster (Prevents Most ActiveX Spyware)
Google Toolbar (Block Pop-Ups)

Couple that with a Deacent Firewall & Virus scanner of your choice, and your good to go.

You left out hijackthis... No spyware arsenal is complete without hijackthis.

I haven't used the google toolbar, as its built into mozilla... But I have seen too many people running IE with the G-toolbar and plenty of popups to think its much good.

Back