• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb Domain Registering Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

I have 1and1's 3 year free trial webspace, and I'm in the process of making a forum for my Lineage2 clan using PHPBB. I shouldn't run into any problems where databases are concerned since 1And1's hosting includes a MySQL database. I've been reading all the tutorials but I still have a question or two so any help is very much appreciated.

I have the usual http://xxxxxxxxxx.onlinehome.us address which I do not want as the address for my forum, so I just registered a new domain with 1And1 for $5.99.

My question is, in 24 hours when my domain is actually registered, when I type in my newly registered domain into my address bar in Internet Explorer, will it automatically take me to my http://xxxxx.onlinehome.us site?

Or, do I have to somehow associate the two addresses so that they have the same destination? Please bear with my ignorance, I'm new to all of this.

I also have one more question: I know that I have to access some folder within my webspace to put all of the PHPBB files in, but I'm clueless as to where that folder is. I have Cute FTP and I can access my FTP site from it, but since I registered a new .com domain, I dunno where I have to put the PHPBB files.....I'm completely lost lol

Thanks for any help

This is the most help I've found so far:

Installing a PHPBB forum on 1And1 sites

I recently went through the same thing, the new domain (also purchased through 1and1), points directly to my old site, which was on the http://xxxxxxxxxx.onlinehome.us address. Also all my pictures and videos that were being hosted in various sub-folders work by typing in the new domain as well.

Hope that answers your questions. How do you like 1and1's hosting? I'm also on the free 3 years thing, but when it expires I'm thinking I'll stick with them, I haven't had any problems, and no downtime, and the speeds seem relatively good.

Thanks for the reply :)

I finally got it all figured out...took forever though lol. The steps weren't hard but figuring them out took some time.

I had to make a /forum folder in my 1And1 webspace using my FTP program, then using the 1And1 control center I had to link my newly registered domain to only the /forum folder that I had created which contains all of the PHPBB files. Some MySQL information was needed for PHPBB setup, but luckily I found that information in 1And1's control center.

That in itself took me a while because of the newb that I am lol....after that it was smooth sailing. Just pulled up my new domain in IE and went through PHPBB installation. Now I'm in the process of going through each of the very helpful flash tutorials on www.phpbb.com to set up each part of the forum.

I'm liking the hosting a lot so far. Like you said, never any downtime and good speeds. Not to mention 3 free years is incredible :) I'll probably stay with them afterwards too.

Back