• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

inherit permissions automatically

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cack01

I am setting of a FTP folder in widows 2k w/ NTFS. It is to be used by 2 admins and 3 limited users.

The problem is when I put files into my ftp's homedirectory the admins automatically have rights to the files, but I have to give users permissions to the files.

Is there any way that when I move the files into the folder, the file's permission is changed automatically.

thanks

I had this issue myself and was never able to find any way to have windows do it directly and automatically. I was using 2000 server. Instead what I ended up doing was using BulletProof server. So much easier. I wonder if there isn't a 3rd party program that could help you.

Does windows have a counterpart to Unix's chmod? If it does I bet one could make a bat file that could be run through scheduled tasks.

In theory, when you set permissions on the FOLDER to inherit, all the files within the folder should attain those permissions. In practice, it rarely works that way thought and I have not found a good solution to it either. It does this on 2k and 2K3 server.

Back