• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Y-cruncher updated - significant gains

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

A new version of Y-cruncher was released yesterday, which has been recoded to make better use of cores when facing limited memory bandwidth in modern systems. It shows some significant gains in my quick testing so far. It may not be used for hwbot yet: "Because of the large performance swings, HWBOT integration will be withheld until the HWBOT community decides what to do." It may also perform slower on older systems compared to previous versions.

y-11700k.png
This is my test system with Rocket Lake, which remains the only Intel desktop CPU that officially supports AVX-512. The test at 1B is short enough it remains at the higher power limit. As I've rebuilt it into a smaller case, the CPU is borderline thermal throttling when running this so it may affect results slightly. High core performance with limited memory bandwidth means new version with AVX-512 can finally stretch its legs and run considerably faster.

y-7920x.png
This is my main desktop, which runs at 3.4 GHz with AVX2 code, and 2.9GHz with AVX-512 code. Note I made a typo, the 2nd set of results ram speed is actually 3000, not 3200. Here we see more modest gains from the new version.

y-5800h.png
And finally my laptop, 5800H, Zen 3 Cezanne. Only AVX2 results here, again a modest gain from the new version.

Another update was released earlier this week. Probably wont make any impact in competitive benching since you'd want to avoid swap.

As for performance changes, don't expect the same massive speedups for swap mode that v0.8.1 brought to in-memory computations. Swap mode computations were (and still are) disk-bound. So the computational improvements which gave v0.8.1 the large speedups will not translate proportionally to computations on disk.

HWBOT submission was supposed to be back in this version, but apparently they weren't ready for it. So I've pulled it for now. Please stay tuned.

I haven't been keeping up to date on hwbot side. If they allow recent version results to be submitted to the same record list, it would be an easy way to gain some positions in the short term.

Typically, they lock versions in, so any difference in scores is from the system, not the software updates/changes. Typically, lol.

Back