• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding second processors to motherboard question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rick_323

Registered
I have a dell workstation 530 series wich has dual cpu capabilities.. I am looking for info on what processors are compatable with the current single cpu setup I am running . I am wanting to add a second cpu preferably the same size as the existing cpu.. I am running a dell precision workstation 530MT motherboard with a Intel Xeon-A 2800mhz cpu.. I am having trouble finding info on what my choices are as in cpus I can use with my existing one.. thanks...also I am runinng windows 2000 pro OS on the machine...

I believe when consdering SMP it is best to choose two of the same CPU's otherwise the faster one will be forced to run at the speed of the slower one. Oh and by the way, fold!

Last edited:
Forum thats a link to our folding team forum you can find more information there.

Flash Movie This is a short flash movie that explains the whole concept of folding, much better than I could.

Your best bet is to get another 2.8GHz Xeon. However, if you were to run two Xeons of differnet speeds then they would both run at the lower speed.

Remember your Xeon will be a Socket 603 part probably, not a 604.

Back