• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTB? Geforce?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Porsche911r101

Hey,

I used to be a geek when it came with pc's, when i bought my top-of-the-range pc. then i lost interest as my hardware was mega fast.

I have

Athlon xp 2100
Geforce 4 ti4600
512 Samsung DDR 333 ram
****ty mid tower case
550w psu
WD 120gb 8mb cache HDD

Now this ran gta3 fine for ages.

since then i didnt use the pc for 9 months or so.

So yesturday i stripped it, dusted it all out.

Now it wont run gta3 properly, it skips and jumps around, theres nothing wrong with the disk. I bought True Crime; streets of LA today and this also runs terrible,slows down to 2fps imo, cant play it.

So what should I do? Thinking of replacing the graphics card and the other hardware.

So far, ive come to this.

DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST REMOVE
Abit AV8 3RD Eye (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-053-AB)
£75.75 £75.75
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-026-CS)
£164.00 £164.00
MSI GeForce FX 5900SP-VTD 256MB DDR VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - nBOX Bundle (GX-043-MS)
£149.95 £149.95
CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 with Side Window - Blue Trim (No PSU) (CA-060-CM)
£109.95 £109.95

However im stuck on what to buy graphics wise, i cannot afford a 6800, i have about $150 to spend ($200 USD iirc)

So what should i buy, the pc is totally gaming pc.........

help please?????

im also open to ati ect suggestions, it needs to be DirectX 9 compatible whatever it is.

Cheers, J

Buy an ATI 9800 pro. Make sure it is full speed and has 256-bit memory interface.

how much are they ?

is the cpu and motherboard upto spec or should i get something different, i specifically want amd.....

A 9800 pro is probably cheapest $150, but might be hard for you to find that cheap. Less than $200 is a given though.

You didn't list a cpu. A 3500+ or above would be excellent.

Porsche911r101 said:
Hey,

I used to be a geek when it came with pc's, when i bought my top-of-the-range pc. then i lost interest as my hardware was mega fast.

I have

Athlon xp 2100
Geforce 4 ti4600
512 Samsung DDR 333 ram
****ty mid tower case
550w psu
WD 120gb 8mb cache HDD

Now this ran gta3 fine for ages.

since then i didnt use the pc for 9 months or so.

So yesturday i stripped it, dusted it all out.

Now it wont run gta3 properly, it skips and jumps around, theres nothing wrong with the disk. I bought True Crime; streets of LA today and this also runs terrible,slows down to 2fps imo, cant play it.

So what should I do? Thinking of replacing the graphics card and the other hardware.

However im stuck on what to buy graphics wise, i cannot afford a 6800, i have about $150 to spend ($200 USD iirc)

So what should i buy, the pc is totally gaming pc.........

help please?????

im also open to ati ect suggestions, it needs to be DirectX 9 compatible whatever it is.

Cheers, J
If your pc played gta3 fine last year and now it doesn't,that doesnt mean you have to buy new stuff.Obviously there is a problem somewhere and if you fix it,you will be able to game with true crime as well.The TI4600 is more than enough to play both of those games.

Back