• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from a Geforce GTX 1070 Ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BatmansHardware

Registered
So I have had an MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8G since late 2018. Since then, I upgraded my PC to the specs in my signature but just moved the card over.

I am not interested in the most expensive cutting-edge gaming cards, but I need something that has no problem wiith graphic-intensive programs and programs with rendering.

I do a lot of 3D animation (poser/blender), 4K video editing (DaVinci), photo editing, paint programs.

I was thinking of getting two more DDR4 8GB sticks to bring the system up to 32GB.

This is my first AMD system, as I have been using Intel before, but I have experience with many graphics cards and have gone between AMD and Nvidia a few times.

Nvidia was suggested to me when I bought the 1070 Ti card because it has Optix for rendering, and AMD does not have a counterpart. When I render, I can select either the processor or the card. I used to select the card, but since I upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 7, I would probably render with that.

What would be a good card to make the most of my system? Something to last another 4 years or so.

Isn't the RTX 3060 about the same or a little slower than a GTX 1070 Ti? Would't it be better to get a RTX 3060-Ti instead?
An RTX 3060 is ~20% faster than a 1070Ti in gaming.

A 3060 Ti is faster than a 3060...and a 3070 is faster than that. It all depends on what the guy has to spend. Always get the best you can/want to afford.

An RTX 3060 is ~20% faster than a 1070Ti in gaming.

A 3060 Ti is faster than a 3060...and a 3070 is faster than that. It all depends on what the guy has to spend. Always get the best you can/want to afford.
Are you close to/running out of memory? If yes, this helps. If not, it won't.;)

Budget for graphics card?

Take a look at the rtx 3060.

Thanks for the recommendation.

It seems if I stick with NVIDIA and if I look at recommended cards, the 3060s make an appearance as the most popular.

I am aiming to get something in the new year's sales.

I was just wondering if there haven't been any developments where someone would recommend something other than GeForce for what I am doing.

Seems the feedback here isn't suggesting anything else so far...

Isn't the RTX 3060 about the same or a little slower than a GTX 1070 Ti? Would't it be better to get a RTX 3060-Ti instead?
Do you think I need an upgrade then? Or does it seem that the 1070 Ti is still the better investment and to hold out for better cards?

Do you think I need an upgrade then? Or does it seem that the 1070 Ti is still the better investment and to hold out for better cards?
There's always something better around the corner. Only you know if you need an upgrade... ;)

You know how fast they are, it's about figuring out what you want to spend...budget?

There's always something better around the corner. Only you know if you need an upgrade... ;)

You know how fast they are, it's about figuring out what you want to spend...budget?
The RTX 3060 is a good example of how much I want to pay as it is roughly the same price as my 1070 Ti when I got it several years ago to do the same thing.

I would spend more only if the card offers some specific advantages for my type of work. It seems Nvidia is still the way forward. Sometimes it happens that AMD Radeon gets recommend but the last round was Nvidia 1070 Ti.

According to the reference below the RTX 3060 is a little bit above the GTX 1070Ti. It is up to you whether the upgrade is worth it or not.

GPU Benchmarks and Hierarchy 2022: Graphics Cards Ranked

Back