• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming crashing more often with whea_uncorrectable_error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1S8K

Hi,

I overclocked my GTX 1070 ti based on a YouTube tutorial without any problems. Then reset the settings to default.

Then one day I thought I remembered the settings and cranked the settings up and when I applied the settings, the PC shutdown immediately.

After that time I started to get gaming sudden freeze, then a blue screen with code "whea_uncorrectable_error".

My question, could I slightly damaged the GPU ?

I searched about this error and one solution said I have to update the driver and I updated it to the last version. I also done other CMD solutions. But I get the same error.

Hi,

I overclocked my GTX 1070 ti based on a YouTube tutorial without any problems. Then reset the settings to default.

Then one day I thought I remembered the settings and cranked the settings up and when I applied the settings, the PC shutdown immediately.

After that time I started to get gaming sudden freeze, then a blue screen with code "whea_uncorrectable_error".

My question, could I slightly damaged the GPU ?

I searched about this error and one solution said I have to update the driver and I updated it to the last version. I also done other CMD solutions. But I get the same error.

What I'm hearing is that you "cranked up the settings"... but I'm not reading anywhere that you reset them back to default the 2nd time.

So wouldn't they still be at the incorrect settings?

I'd start there.

If necessary (and possible with your motherboard) you could use either the internal graphics on your motherboard (you may have to remove the graphics card first to set this up) or a 2nd video card as the default and then change the settings back to original like that if you can't get it to boot.

Is it possible that you damaged the GPU? Well you would've had to go pretty CRAZY with the voltage settings in order to do that...

but I'm not reading anywhere that you reset them back to default the 2nd time.
So wouldn't they still be at the incorrect settings?
No you're right. It automatically get back to the default setting.

When it crashed, and I booted the system again the MSI after burner is set to the default setting automatically.

If necessary (and possible with your motherboard) you could use either the internal graphics on your motherboard (you may have to remove the graphics card first to set this up) or a 2nd video card as the default and then change the settings back to original like that if you can't get it to boot.
I'm using the display port from the GPU to the monitor every time and it's working ok.

I'm realizing that the crashing happens only in gaming.

I don't know maybe the last nvidia drivers cause this issue. Maybe I should download like 4 time previous driver and check if it would crash again.

If that is true then I would issue this to nvidia so they know about it.

Is it possible that you damaged the GPU? Well you would've had to go pretty CRAZY with the voltage settings in order to do that...

OK, I'm happy to know that, because I really don't want to buy a new GPU.

I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU, motherboard and the RAMs. And then buy a better GPU than the GTX 1070 ti when I get a good price for better GPUs like, 3060s or 3070s.

I got more blue screens and instant freezes during gaming.

Different types of blue screens, I don't know why exactly. But I'm suspecting my CPU/GPU overclocking efforts.

I overclocked my i7 4770k to 4.4GHz using only the 212 EVO, but the system didn't boot up, I tried different voltages for the vcore and vring and it barely booted up but not stable.

I formatted the windows and now I'm back to the working 4.3GHz which works like %90 the time, and rarely get a blue screen.

The GPU is in stock settings, even before the format. But I don't know why I got those blue screens.

But now everything is new, only the CPU overclock profile that is stored in the bios profile. I'm now installing drivers and programs, going to try some games and see what I have.

All stock, to me, means your CPU too. No overclocking profiles, nada. Set optimized defaults (it's a "F" key). Reboot, test. If it works, THEN apply your bios profile.

See if it's stable at stock before you start messing with anything.

Yep, you're right.

I returned all setting to optimized defaults. Ran BF4, and got a blue screen saying "video tdr failure" this is a new one !

Until now I got over 4 types of blue screen.

I don't know could it my GPU overclocking attempts, or the last NVidia driver is causing all this ?

I don't know could it my GPU overclocking attempts
To be clear, this test was with EVERYTHING at stock, right? Maybe see if limiting power or raising voltage helps on the GPU.

If you installed another driver, an old one shouldn't be the problem. Did you "DDU" uninstall to make sure?

Do you have a spare drive to reinstall windows and see if it's something borked there?

To be clear, this test was with EVERYTHING at stock, right? Maybe see if limiting power or raising voltage helps on the GPU.
I'll do this first.

If you installed another driver, an old one shouldn't be the problem. Did you "DDU" uninstall to make sure?
I'll do this secondly.

Do you have a spare drive to reinstall windows and see if it's something borked there?
You mean my main SSD could be faulty ?

Yep, I have several drives on this rig.

OK, this should be my 3rd try to fix the system.

Thanks man for the support.

You mean my main SSD could be faulty ?
No. I mean, some software leftovers or something corrupt/wonky in Windows. I fall back on reinstalls b/c I have images that take me back to day 0 with all my stuff installed. For some, it's not that easy.

Happy to help.

This error suggests many things, but if the PC isn't overclocked and isn't overheating (mainly CPU), then usually it's memory related error - RAM, cache, or something similar.
Your PC supports IGP, so remove the graphics card and check if it works without it, connected to the motherboard's HDMI/DP. Then you will exclude the graphics card.
I would run a memtest or prime95 or something similar to check if it passes a more demanding CPU or RAM tests.

software leftovers or something corrupt/wonky in Windows. I fall back on reinstalls b/c I have images that take me back to day 0 with all my stuff installed
When I installed my windows recently, I deleted the whole partition and installed the windows as I do all the time.

I actually did the DDU, played a complete BF4 game, no issues until now.

When I installed my windows recently, I deleted the whole partition and installed the windows as I do all the time.

I actually did the DDU, played a complete BF4 game, no issues until now.

Wait... You deleted the whole partition... but you're still using the same hard drive? Same cable...? Same everything?

WHY did you delete the partition?

Wait... You deleted the whole partition...

WHY did you delete the partition?
Why wouldn't you is a better question........

It's a fresh start. Quite common to do so. If I'm installing Windows, I'm deleting and recreating partitions again 100%.

...I thought most people did this, lol!

It's a fresh start. Quite common to do so. If I'm installing Windows, I'm deleting and recreating partitions again 100%.

I haven't deleted a partition in YEARS. Mostly because I'm trying to replace old drives with newer, bigger ones.

With all these blue screens, and crashes and whatnot... the first thing I'd DO is replace the drive. (They're so cheap now...)

I haven't deleted a partition in YEARS. Mostly because I'm trying to replace old drives with newer, bigger ones.
Well, when you're working with the same drive.........................generally, that's what you do. :)

the first thing I'd DO is replace the drive.
The symptoms aren't presenting as a storage issue at this time. We didn't suggest replacing the tires on your motorbike when it wouldn't start, regardless if they are cheap. :p

Well, when you're working with the same drive.........................generally, that's what you do. :)

The symptoms aren't presenting as a storage issue at this time. We didn't suggest replacing the tires on your motorbike when it wouldn't start, regardless if they are cheap. :p

Would you rather wait until tires are expensive to replace them? What sense would THAT make...? :p

Doesn't matter if your bike won't start or not. Sooner or later... You're going to need new tires.

And if they're running a 70% off sale... GO FOR IT!

And who says it doesn't "present as a storage issue"?

You're basing that on what he TOLD you. I'd rather eliminate the possibility entirely.

Yep, windows installation prompt this procedure, of initializing a new partition, deleting or formatting one.
Post magically merged:

With all these blue screens, and crashes and whatnot... the first thing I'd DO is replace the drive. (They're so cheap now...)
In may case, I don't know where the problem is.

First attempt I did is to install a new windows copy, but the problem isn't solved. Then I DDU the GPU driver. And things went well.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.4GHz using AUTO settings but didn't work. So I got back to 4.3GHz and it's stable until now.
Post magically merged:

Would you rather wait until tires are expensive to replace them? What sense would THAT make...? :p

Doesn't matter if your bike won't start or not. Sooner or later... You're going to need new tires.

And if they're running a 70% off sale... GO FOR IT!

You're basing that on what he TOLD you. I'd rather eliminate the possibility entirely.
I would buy a new SSD. It will be better actually to add a new fast driver for more fast games launches.

But I'm still thinking of upgrading the whole system. starting with the CPU, motherboard and RAMs. The rest are ok.

Because some games struggle at the start of the game, even sometimes in the middle of the game.

I think now 4 cores isn't enough for the big games; like, FAR CRY 6, COD MW2, ... etc.

I'm waiting for good prices on the new 13 gen parts.

Last edited:

Me. Based on what we've been "TOLD" so far, correct. Like how all forum threads go. ;)

You're missing the point or being argumentative here (............). All I'm saying is, so far, the symptoms don't appear to be from a bad drive. Could it be? Sure. In that light, Rainless...ANYTHING is possible. Would I suggest the OP to throw money at a new drive in an effort to solve this problem? Hard No (at this time). Perhaps more information comes out that makes us lean that way, but until then, I don't recommend spending money on a drive in order to resolve his issue. :)

Anyway...............................................

So I got back to 4.3GHz and it's stable until now.
So, voltages, etc... where are we at? Have you tried raising Vcore if you're overclocked? How'd you get to 4.3??

Back