• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming crashing more often with whea_uncorrectable_error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, voltages, etc... where are we at? Have you tried raising Vcore if you're overclocked? How'd you get to 4.3??
I just choose %20 upgrade, base clock at 100MHz, multiplier 43 and that's it, I leave everything else to AUTO. And it worked the last couple years. Just recently got these blue screens when I attempted to OC the GPU.

I don't play with voltages, and I thought if I leave them on AUTO, the system will take care of the level of the voltages according to level of OCing request.

I think I learned that new motherboards have much more easier OCing settings. Some even have OCing option in run time.

I don't play with voltages, and I thought if I leave them on AUTO, the system will take care of the level of the voltages according to level of OCing request.
Yes, but it tends to overvolt a bit in favor of stability. Auto is a good starting point and works, but can be typically be tweaked down from that voltage point and be stable.

My suggestion is to manually overclock it and see what's what. Start from scratch, set multiplier to 43x, leave volage on auto. Boot. See what voltage it's running, set manually in the BIOS and lower (maybe 0.1 to start). If that's not stable, try lowering it 0.05 from the load voltage...

EDIT: At this point, you may need MORE voltage to stabilize 4.3 GHz, however. :)

Last edited:
I thought of doing a stress test for the CPU and the GPU.

My guess is the GPU, last crash with COD MW2, I don't know could the game updates added some more GPU intense stuff ?!

Before the last updates, things were going well, I experience some stutters or instability at the start or in the middle of the game, but the most the time the game plays well without serious issues.

I searched for GPU stress programs, I found this one, but the caution says it's on my own risk:

1701975829792.png

I ran prime95 more than one time, it didn't cause the system to shutdown or a blue screen so I'm thinking that I need to stress test the GPU.

Yep, windows installation prompt this procedure, of initializing a new partition, deleting or formatting one.
Post magically merged:

In may case, I don't know where the problem is.

First attempt I did is to install a new windows copy, but the problem isn't solved. Then I DDU the GPU driver. And things went well.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.4GHz using AUTO settings but didn't work. So I got back to 4.3GHz and it's stable until now.
Post magically merged:

I would buy a new SSD. It will be better actually to add a new fast driver for more fast games launches.

But I'm still thinking of upgrading the whole system. starting with the CPU, motherboard and RAMs. The rest are ok.

Because some games struggle at the start of the game, even sometimes in the middle of the game.

I think now 4 cores isn't enough for the big games; like, FAR CRY 6, COD MW2, ... etc.

I'm waiting for good prices on the new 13 gen parts.

BSODs in 2023 (nearly 2024) are RARE. I've had an auto overclock of 4.3ghz since I got this CPU. Never needed to touch it. Not once has a single game (not even Cyberpunk) ever crashed on me.

I can't even remember the last time a game crashed on me. Maybe in the 90s?

Last time windows crashed? I dunno... Maybe VISTA or something?

So your problem is uncommon. Nothing about it screams "Operating system" or "Partition" or "Driver" to me.

You could upgrade your system if you want... but literally the cheapest part you could replace is the drive. So (ignoring Earthdog for a second...) why WOULDN'T you do that?

After you've already gone through all this trouble... Why not do the cheapest, easiest thing of all?

... Nothing about it screams ..... "Driver" to me.
..........?
...Then I DDU the GPU driver. And things went well.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.4GHz using AUTO settings but didn't work. So I got back to 4.3GHz and it's stable until now.

If I'm understanding him correctly......

...he cleaned out the drivers and that worked. Then he tried to overclock (his CPU) and it was giving him trouble again. If that isn't correct/not where we're currently at, I apologize (@R1S8K?).

OK, I ran the 3DMark, on stock settings GPU and CPU, only running RAMs on intended speed which is 1600MHz.

I couldn't save the results, so I took snapshots:

3dmark1.png

3dmark2.png

3dmark3.png

3dmark4.png

3dmark5.png

I also ran COD MW2, it's a CPU + GPU intense game, I took 3 snapshots at 3 different stages and monitoring the load rate on the CPU and I noticed that the game were about to crash but it didn't:

1. Game launch:
launch the game.png

2. Before start of the game:
start the game.png

3. During the game:
in game.png

I restarted the rig and overclocked my CPU as usual to 4.3GHz. I tried 4.4GHz but didn't work so I got back to 4.3GHz.

I logged in and took a snapshot of cpuz:

cpuz_43ghz.PNG

But I noticed that when I tried to overclock to 4.4GHz, I was able to log in but immediately freeze up, that the system used the same core voltage 1.375 V.

So I think that's why 4.4GHz won't work, I think it needs more voltage, but as I learned that I shouldn't increase the voltage to over 1.35 V, so the AUTO actually pushed the voltage to 1.375 V!

So I think that's why 4.4GHz won't work, I think it needs more voltage, but as I learned that I shouldn't increase the voltage to over 1.35 V, so the AUTO actually pushed the voltage to 1.375 V!
1.35V for that CPU isn't a ton... give it hell if you want to push it. Just keep the temperature below 90C, and it's fine. Try 1.4V and 4.4 GHz... just make sure that's the LOAD voltage (we're seeing, and you set in the BIOS) and not idle as that may change................

What are you max temps on this while gaming? What BIOS version are you on?

FYI, when I said loop 3DMark, I meant set it to loop and let it run for hours (like a stress test). I think that

EDIT: Read :) - https://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/

Last edited:
1.35V for that CPU isn't a ton... give it hell if you want to push it. Just keep the temperature below 90C, and it's fine. Try 1.4V and 4.4 GHz...
You're absolutely right.

I tried 3 attempts setting only vcore, from 1.4 V to 1.5 V and they all failed.

They booted smoothly, but as soon as I launched prime95 it freeze up and give the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bluescreen.

I started to understand that this error means overclocking issues = unstable system.

Then I did a quick search on google about 4.4GHz OC settings and found highlight that the ring voltage is 1.176 V. So I set the ring voltage to this rate and let the vcore to 1.5 V.

I booted the system, and ran Prime95, and it went well, no freezing. But the temps went very high.

4.4ghztemp.png

I'm going to lower vcore to 1.45 V and let the ring voltage as it's.

just make sure that's the LOAD voltage (we're seeing, and you set in the BIOS) and not idle as that may change................

What is the LOAD voltage ? Where is it ?

What are you max temps on this while gaming? What BIOS version are you on?
Didn't measure the temps on gaming, I tested Prime95 and when it hit 100, I stopped it.

FYI, when I said loop 3DMark, I meant set it to loop and let it run for hours (like a stress test). I think that

When I hit RUN, it ran 6 tests, 3 for CPU and 3 for GPU. But every test is like 3 mins.

What is the LOAD voltage ? Where is it ?
It's the voltage reading under load. Often, when stressed, that value you see on cpuz drops.

When I hit RUN, it ran 6 tests, 3 for CPU and 3 for GPU. But every test is like 3 mins.
That's one run, nkt a loop/stress test. ;)

Maybe I dont remember, but 1.5V ring seems high. What does that link say??

It's the voltage reading under load. Often, when stressed, that value you see on cpuz drops.
Is it the core voltage, the one in the first tap ?

That's one run, nkt a loop/stress test. ;)
Stress test not available. I have to buy it. Anyway Prime95 is good.

Also COD MW2 is also a good test, because that's where I get all my crashes :)

I read this at the link you provided:

The first thing you need to know about Haswell you already found out in our review (read it here if you haven’t already) – it runs hot. You will need a lot more than the stock cooler if you want to overclock. With a very good air cooler or all-in-one water cooler, you’re looking at a heat limited voltage cap of about 1.25 V. At that voltage with air or AIO cooling, you’ll be seeing temperatures in the upper 80’s to lower 90’s (°C) range under normal full processor load.

And I think it's pretty an important point, I'm using my 212 EVO since 2014 until now. The rig handles 4.2GHz with this cooler very good and I remember that rarely I encounter a blue screen at least for months.

Maybe I dont remember, but 1.5V ring seems high. What does that link say??

1.176 V for ring voltage
1.5 V for the vcore

Now I'm running:
1.2 V ring voltage
1.5 V vcore

But I encountered a freeze in COD MW2.

Next boot I will raise the ring voltage to 1.25 V and keep the vcore to 1.5 V.

I tried:
vcore 1.55 V
ring 1.30 V

and it crashed in COD MW2

Now I'm doing:
vcore 1.55 V
ring 1.35 V

and I did Prime95, it was about to freeze but it handled it, but the temps are very high:

prime95_135_155.png

I think as the article said, should buy a better cooler.

For now I think I'd be better going back to 4.3GHz and leave everything in AUTO.

I'd like to have a theoretical background about OCing and what voltage I should put for specific frequency.

Or maybe I'm doing OK but the game crash because of temps ?! could that be true ?
I think there's an issue with the new updates of this game, because other games I have are playing ok.

Maybe COD MW2 requires a newer CPU + GPU.

I'd like to have a theoretical background about OCing and what voltage I should put for specific frequency.
Thought thr guide covers that a bit. Also there isn't a voltage for a specific frequency, each cpu is a bit different. It's about testing and figuring it out like we all did back in the day.

I think there's an issue with the new updates of this game, because other games I have are playing ok.

Maybe COD MW2 requires a newer CPU + GPU.
That games uses all the cores and threads it can.... even on my 13900k...

A 4770k is a glass ceiling to some games, indeed. 4c/8t cpu is what many would consider to be a bare minimum these days. And Haswell's IPC/clockspeed isn't up to today's standards.

In the end, if you're stable at 4.2, run it. No sense in pushing things with that air cooler. But I'd look into upgrading if you want to play modern AAA titles.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I might try to tweak it with lower voltages later, if worked ok, if not then I would really like to wait until the 13700k reach a good price with a good motherboard, also the DDR5 is at peak price if my guess is right.

I tried the following with Prime95:

1. vcore 1.550V ring 1.35 @4.4GHz = stable no issues but high temps
2. vcore 1.450V ring 1.25 @4.3GHz = stable no issues but high temps
3. vcore AUTO ring AUTO @4.3GHz = stable no issues but high temps

4.3ghz_auto.png

So actually going 4.3GHz for the last couple years, I think I was hitting the CPU very hard during gaming but I didn't notice it or maybe the games have less load than Prime95.

Anyway, if I'm not upgrading the CPU, motherboard and RAMs soon then I might at least buy a better cooling system, it should be either:

Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L

or​

Corsair H100x RGB Elite

Back