• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Front USB issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbarket

I have an Antec Super Lanboy and the board listed in my signature. Instead of having a nice little standardized connector, my case has each individual pin seperate.

Obviously this would be no big deal if not for the fact that the connector on the board has 9 pins and the connectors from the case have 5.

The board are: Power, Power, USB Dx-, USB Dy-, USB Dx+, USB Dy+, Ground, Ground, No Pin, and NC (No Connection maybe?)

According to the manual, the case connectors are Power, Negative, Positive, Ground and Ground.

Does it seem to anyone else like the connector on the board is intended to support two USB ports? Outside of the fact that I would be unable to connect both ground connectors from the case, I would be able to connect all of the others (and connect 1 ground to that NC).

If that's not the case, where in the hell should I connect all of these things? Should I simply connect Power->Power, Negative->USB Dx-, Positive->USB Dx+, Ground->Ground, Ground->Ground and leave the rest alone?

I mean that would take up both USB headers on the motherboard with pins leftover, but it's not like I really have a need for the headers. As is with the front connectors, I'll have 8 USB ports.

One of the grounds aren't going to be connected. I don't like that Antec used those single connectors (their newer cases use the one-piece ones thank god), but as long as you have one ground connected for each port you should be ok. Dealt with this numerous times.

Also, just follow the wiring diagram in the mobo manual. It shouldn't be hard at all.

Edit: yes, normally the onboard usb headers support two ports. Just make sure that you keep the 1's and 2's together.

I figured as much, just wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I really don't understand why they don't use those connectors. It makes things so much simpler, especially with a case as tiny as this one.

No prob, glad it worked out. Sometimes when I have a spare USB connector laying around I'll switch out the connects on the case to simplify things. Wish I knew where I could actually buy spare connectors like that.

Back