• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transferring From one HD to Another with NEwer File system HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

My sis in law bought a Bestbuy POS and needs to transferr Files from her OLD Windows 98 HD to her New computer. Now Ive never done This with a windows 98 HD to an XP with ntfs. She tried a Thumb drive, and it wouldnt do it. Said That it would only work with Windows 98SE and above.

How would i accomplish this? A Burner and put the files on that then transfer?

The Guy told her from Bestbuy to Use a eathernet card and a crossover cable. What the Heck is that about and how is it done?

Im stumped here. ANY help would be great.

Thanks

Harry

ok the best way to do this is to take out the old HD and change the jumper to slave and then connect it to the new PC on the IDE cable. not as primary! just add it to the IDE cable the NEW HD is on and turn on the PC. then it should show up on my computer and go in the old one. Cut out the files and paste them into the new one. Thats an easy way and you wont have to spend any money on getting crossover cables. Good Luck man

There are several ways:

1) Burn the files on CD.
2) Put the old HDD in the new PC (Boot from XP as Win98 can't read NTFS).
3) Through a network:
3.1) Connecting both PC's using 2 NIC's and a crossover cable.
3.2) DCC (Direct Cable Connection) using:
3.2.1) USB (You need a special cable like the NetLinq USB Cable).
3.2.2) Paralell or Serial cable.
4) Infra Red (If available....very slow!!!).

1 and 2 are the easiest ways, while XP usually works fine if you setup a network Win98 may cause some problems.

If you decide to use option 2 look for a sticker on the case that says "warranty void if broken", I don't have to tell you that your warranty will be void if you decide to open the case and break the seal?...I already did :p

Thanks all Thats great News. I Was Just Kind of leary about this. I was going to Do the Install deal. But when the Person Said that It was Original 98 i figured i might be in For a chore.

Thanks again for your help.

Have a great Day

Harry

Back