• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice/Help needed with new AMD system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark.

Registered
Hi everyone,

I used this forum a few years back to get help overclocking my FX6300 cpu, with some guidance from the kind folks on here i managed a 4.5ghz OC on air cooling that lasted me 3 years without any issues. Fast forward to present day and its probably about time i built a new system, so i did..

AMD Ryzen 1800x CPU
BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler
Asus Strix X370-F Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM 16GB (3000mhz)
Asus Strix 8GB 1070 GTX
Samsung EVO 860 SSD 1TB
BeQuiet 700w Silver PSU
Corsair Carbide 400c Case

So far the system has been great, however ive had a few crashes since using it, the worst crash occurred last night when i was in the ROG Dual Intelligent Processors menu just looking around, the system crashed so badly i couldnt even do a hard reset of the machine and had to turn the power off at the rear of the psu to get it to power down.

Ive made no attempt to manually overclock anything as im not familiar with alot of new features the motherboard has compared to my old system, the only thing ive done is load a D.O.C.P profile thats pre loaded into the bios, this is purely so my ram doesnt run at 2133mhz, i prefer manual overclocking but because i dont understand this system i just used a preset for now.

I loaded the D.O.C.P 3 profile which claims to set ram speed to 2400mhz but my bios was showing 3000mhz instead, my cpu was running 3.575ghz at 1.426v, i dont know if this is whats been causing the crashes ive been experiencing so ive set the profile back to default in the bios.

Basically id like to know the best way to set this system up manually, my ram is rated to 3000mhz and so is the motherboard so i would like to get as close to that speed as possible, i know the Ryzen chips dont have as much headroom as the FX series so im not looking for big OC numbers on the cpu. I just want the machine to perform as best it can but also be as stable as possible.

Need help understanding TPU I/TPU II settings
APU frequency (Do these have a discreet APU installed?)
Offest Voltage ( is this just a new name for LLC?)
BCLK Divider

Im used to working with cpu voltages and clock multipliers really so some of these new menus are knocking my confidence, if anyones interested this is a link to my previous thread 3 years ago when i had issues using prime95 when overclocking, the clock speeds on there show a 4.4ghz OC but it ended up settling on 4.5ghz using all the same settings : https://www.overclockers.com/forums...9-AMD-FX6300-OC-guidance-problem-with-prime95

Apologies for the long winded post, will happily be re directed to other threads/forums for reading material.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Hi everyone,

I used this forum a few years back to get help overclocking my FX6300 cpu, with some guidance from the kind folks on here i managed a 4.5ghz OC on air cooling that lasted me 3 years without any issues. Fast forward to present day and its probably about time i built a new system, so i did..

AMD Ryzen 1800x CPU
BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler
Asus Strix X370-F Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM 16GB (3000mhz)
Asus Strix 8GB 1070 GTX
Samsung EVO 860 SSD 1TB
BeQuiet 700w Silver PSU
Corsair Carbide 400c Case

So far the system has been great, however ive had a few crashes since using it, the worst crash occurred last night when i was in the ROG Dual Intelligent Processors menu just looking around, the system crashed so badly i couldnt even do a hard reset of the machine and had to turn the power off at the rear of the psu to get it to power down.

Ive made no attempt to manually overclock anything as im not familiar with alot of new features the motherboard has compared to my old system, the only thing ive done is load a D.O.C.P profile thats pre loaded into the bios, this is purely so my ram doesnt run at 2133mhz, i prefer manual overclocking but because i dont understand this system i just used a preset for now.

I loaded the D.O.C.P 3 profile which claims to set ram speed to 2400mhz but my bios was showing 3000mhz instead, my cpu was running 3.575ghz at 1.426v, i dont know if this is whats been causing the crashes ive been experiencing so ive set the profile back to default in the bios.

Basically id like to know the best way to set this system up manually, my ram is rated to 3000mhz and so is the motherboard so i would like to get as close to that speed as possible, i know the Ryzen chips dont have as much headroom as the FX series so im not looking for big OC numbers on the cpu. I just want the machine to perform as best it can but also be as stable as possible.

Need help understanding TPU I/TPU II settings
APU frequency (Do these have a discreet APU installed?)
Offest Voltage ( is this just a new name for LLC?)
BCLK Divider

Im used to working with cpu voltages and clock multipliers really so some of these new menus are knocking my confidence, if anyones interested this is a link to my previous thread 3 years ago when i had issues using prime95 when overclocking, the clock speeds on there show a 4.4ghz OC but it ended up settling on 4.5ghz using all the same settings : https://www.overclockers.com/forums...9-AMD-FX6300-OC-guidance-problem-with-prime95

Apologies for the long winded post, will happily be re directed to other threads/forums for reading material.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

This chip doesn’t have an apu but other ryzen chips do so I am guessing that is just a mobo setting.

One of the things that stands out to me was that your speed was 3.575 at 1.426 volts. 1.425 is the AMD recommended top limit for cpu voltage. You would expect to be at 4Ghz maybe a little more at that voltage. Even left at default and stock speeds it should be better than that.

It seems to me that manually setting things would be the best way to go. Don’t load any preset settings. I am sure there will be a specific 1800x overclocking guide on this forum somewhere that will help you.

First thing if you have AISuite installed get rid of it, I would also recommend using the cleaner from here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95038-AI-Suite-3-cleaner

After that your biggest issue is likely the RAM, Corsair in general isn't the friendliest for Ryzen, is that kit 3000 cl15-17 or 16-18? The 15-17 seems to be worse, it's just not ideal but can work. It'll just need more manual attention.
That voltage you see in the BIOS is quite normal, it typically shows the top boost voltage which can be alarming. If tested under load in Windows using HWInfo64 I bet the load volts are much lower

I did think that the voltage looked too high, from the little reading ive done so far ive seen 1.4v being good for 4ghz/4.1ghz overclocks, but D.O.C.P 3 auto configured to use 1.426v for just 3.575ghz.

Unfortunately i did read the issues regarding the RAM but this is after i built the system, my RAM is the 15-17 kit im sure so that may cause some issues, i would be willing to upgrade the ram in the next 6 months but not right now.
Ive uninstalled AISuite and used the cleaner as advised, i did think it was a bit buggy as 2-3 of my crashes so far have happened when using it, as i said i never configured anything through it so maybe it was just a coincidence

Il try find a good guide on here and familiarize myself with the system, i would be happy to have a moderate cpu overclock with RAM running at full speed (if possible)
What RAM would you advise using with this cpu?

Thanks for the input so far.

Don't worry about what you see in BIOS for a voltage, load voltage in Windows is the important one. First thing you might want to do is check your BIOS version and compare it to what ASUS has on their site. It could be outdated. CPUz mobo tab or the first page in BIOS will show your current version. The newer BIOS usually added more support for various RAM kits and might help

I updated the BIOS as it was out of date after all, i ran small FFT's in prime95 for 30min just to get an idea of power use under load, the BIOS has been set to default with nothing changed.

2018-11-29.jpg

See how much lower the voltage is under load. That high-end voltage is there only for the boost.
Maybe give the RAM a try with this new BIOS, set XMP then 2933 instead of 3000 might run better and the speed difference is negilgible

Sometimes Asus will call the blck "APU Frequency" I believe. There is also a program called "DRAM calculator," I don't have personal experience with it but I believe it will help you get your memory set up, since the stock profiles tend to cause problems with Ryzen. The BIOS update can go a long way to help this, but you might still see improvement by tweaking the timings.

Had to look D.O.C.P. up but also found this explanation interesting. Not sure if it has any bearing on the issue but it makes me wonder if you are caught in the middle of a standard transition and the D.O.C.P. profiles don't fit well for the RAM.

Edit: Whoops! Left out link. Here is is: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3167421/xmp-docp-eocp.html

The DOCP profiles just follow the XMP but don't use the name in BIOS (relating to the royalties in your link) the problem is the Corsair RAM and their timings which aren't available to the user and are set for Intel-based systems. Corsair (especially Hynix based) is notorious for poor compatibility with Ryzen. Their Samsung based on the other hand works fine, I have a quad set of Dominator Platinums running 3466 CL14 on my 1950X

So i changed the settings to D.O.C.P standard and set the RAM speed to 3000mhz exactly. Ran prime95 in blend but realised it was only using 35% of my memory so i used memtest64 instead. No problems as of yet but il do some more testing today.

Once i know the memory is stable at that speed id like to tackle the cpu next, when running prime95 in small FFT's the cpu voltage doesnt go over 1.330v roughly but when the pc is idle it can go from 0.480v to 1.6v. I had my old FX6300 chip at fixed clock speeds and voltages all the time so i would like to do something similar with this, ive seen people say maximum voltage for this cpu is 1.425v? Is there any room in the clock multiplier before changing voltages?

Also need to learn more about Pstates, offset voltages etc with regards to overclocking, think i might just start a new thread on the AMD section of the forum as its going beyond "General Hardware" now

Thanks for the input so far

Back