• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lock-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thedoc

Guys,

I have been running my rig with a mild fsb clock at 225 (3.2 @3.6), however during farcry and one other game i keep gettting lock-ups, the screen will freeze but the sound will keep running, wait a few mins and it un-freezes the screen. I tought it could be the clocking so have removed that back to standard and get the same problem, could it be the graphics card, i have a 6800 Ultra with a VGA cooler rev 5, 3dmark runs without issue, i have even run it with max AA & AF so try to stress the card into making the error, still runs ok. The card temps are fine also, has anyone got any ideas ?, could it be the card not getting enough power ?, i have a thermaltake 480W supply, so should be ok ?

the system will run prime95 all day so it is not that

Help .....

When ever i overlock a card to much that is what happens to me. Is the card overclocked at all? I wouldnt use 3DMark as a stress tester really, unless you loop it for sometime. Perhaps its a driver issue? I'm almost certain its a GFX issue, but don't go and count anything out. Search the forums people maybe having the same problems playing and using the same drivers. BTW what are the card temps?

the card is not clocked, on stock. temps are about 65 - 70 under full load, then it drops back to 58 idle really quickly. Could the ram on the GFX card over heat ?, i know the VGA cooler is a bit hit and miss on the ram modules, i had to use lots of thermal paste to ensure coverage

I don't know much about the 6800 cards, or how hot they can run, but i know the X800's idle around 40c and full load of about 55-60, thats very rough guessing, just from what ive read. Heat could certainly be a problem. I'd wait for someone who knows more, sorry i couldnt be more help.

the more i look into this the more it looks like the northwood sudden death problem, i have tested the hell out of the graphics card and nothing happens. this problem only occured after i had overclocked (my idle voltage was at 1.7 idle for a while), the memory is good also, the whole rig was good until this week, could it be anything to do with the mobo chipset ? :bang head

I'm having weird video-issues when playing farcry for extensive periods. (at some point the colors get weird but the game keeps running fine) I often play MOHAA all night long without any probs so I'm now looking into things as AGP texturing and Voltage and such...

Back