• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAJOR vpu problems...HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DunnoeWhattaDoo

Registered
I built my first computer a little while back and everything pretty much runs well except for this one thing.
Programs (games...) close for no reason and at any random time. I also seem to get many messages saying "vpu recovery failure/error" somethin-or-nother and it asks me to send an error report. Also the BSOD with stop messages appears form time to time (and mentions the graphis card) for no apparent reason. Everything that's going wrong all seems to be connected to my video card/dirvers ( Sapphire ATI radeon 9600 ).

This is frustrating the heck out of me as i have dial-up internet and downloading drivers takes forever , not to mention i really have no idea what exactly i need to download (and i'm not even sure it is the drivers). They've got display drivers, control panel drivers, CATALYST control center, net framework 1.1, Hydra vision(??), WDM drivers, and rage 128 pro drivers.
Heres the site im talking about:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/downloads/downloads.asp
I have no idea which ones ineed to download or what most of them actually do.
Any help whatsoever would be immensely apprecieated.

I have windows xp
ATI radeon 9600 with the "ati2dvag.dll version: 6.14.0010.6444" driver.(the one that came with the vidcard)

Also a little off topic: whats with my getting IE script errors? What causes them?

Go to a friend's house who has broadband and download the latest catalyst drivers from the ATI website . I'd also suggest getting all of the Windows updates, but that may be beyond your capacity at this time and the mere mention of it will probably get me flamed ;) .

Re: IE scripting, go to Tools>internet options>advanced tab and click "disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)". Or better yet, get Firefox from . Mozilla.org

Thanks For your Help guys

will disabeling the recovery fix it? won't i have to restart my computer if it stops responding...?

So all i need are the catalyst drivers and nothing else? care to tell me what the other things are?

I have heard of mozilla but how's it better than IE? whats different about it?

[EDIT]
I went to the ati site where the catalyst drivers for my card is and im still a bit comfused. One of them says i need .NET 1.1 Framework(?) installed...
Also do i just download the four files seperately???

Last edited:
All you need is this and this

Oh and if new drivers dont work then I would rma that card. Sound like it might be faulty.

--Josh

ps: I would recommend downloading it with some type of broadband connection.

Try some Omega drivers, and I have had problems with VPU recovery that were solved by disabling it.

z ya ltr- what exactly is "this" and "this?"

I just downloaded .Net Framework (whatever it is) from microsoft and i'm not sure what to get next...

The first this is the .net framework and the second this is the driver package.

--Josh

DunnoeWhattaDoo said:
...I have heard of mozilla but how's it better than IE? whats different about it?

Actually, we're talking Firefox, a product of Mozilla.
This article has a nice rundown of Firefox's features. The main purported benefit is that the browser is not tightly integrated into the oprating system, giving hackers fewer oportunities. The growing poularity of Firefox and the release of WinXP SP2, however has the potential to mitigate this particular benefit.

Back