• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing Bad Bios??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have an A7N8X Deluxe that has what I believe to be a hosed Bios. I have read that I can fix this with another NF2 Based board by doing a hot swap. By this I mean I should Boot up the working NF2 board and pull it's working Bios Chip and then insert the bad A7N8X Bios chip. Then I should power down and put the working NF2 Bios chip back in place. My A7N8X Chip and board should work now... Is this correct or am I missing something.

If the above is way off how do I fix this board? I really want to give the Asus board (Rev. 2.0) a shot with my multiple XP1700 chips.

Thanks

The best way to do a hot swap is to get a board of the same revision etc.

Use a BIOS chip from the other board, to boot your board. Then swap out the working BIOS chip for the hosed one. Then flash the hosed chip with a working BIOS.

You can do the hot flash technique, but if you havent yet, install a PCI graphics card and see if it will at least boot to the point you can run AWDFlash. If you have to do a hot flash, AFAIK any similar BIOS should work. I've personally used the BIOS out of an Epox Socket A nForce2 board on my A7N8X Deluxe with no problems.

Edit - Also, MAKE SURE you use the flash utility from the CD that came with your board, and not the one off the Asus site. The one on the Asus site will just repeatedly feed you the error "source file not found!".

Last edited:
Back