• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

beginner Q's about fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinam70

Registered
Ok please bear with me, I am a complete beginner..:)
I have 2 80mm fans in the back, 1 on the side and 1 at top. None in front and the one on top seems to be pulling air in as the one on the side. I want to get more air flow and a little quiter operation. Also, they have 2 wires going to each. All I see for sale have 3-4 wires. What can be done about this? Thanks for the help in advance.....

if the top one is sucking air, reverse it

hot air rises and a top blowhole will make a huge difference

i second the cutting the standard grills, BTW- some cases, such as my coolermaster, limit airflow by as much as 50% because of the restrictive design

The natural effect of hot air rising holds very little effect in an environment with active convection - like in a PC tower. This is often stated, but likely rarely holds any considerable effect.

Nonetheless, it would be simply pointless to try ventilate from top to bottom when you can just as easily go the other way. Even if the river is gentle downstream is the way to go.

I plan on cutting a hole on the top of my case very soon because I notice alot of heat around the memory.So an exhaust above that will cure that.It's Much easier than trying to suck it out the back.

ok

Ok thanks for the replys, a few more questions. I will reverse the fan up top, should I leave the 4 and put one in front also? And what about the 2 wires, everthing seems to come in 3 wire configurations? Could I get a high speed and run it at 7v to get reg performance? I take it all my fans are connected at 7v with the 2 wire setup? Thanks again for the info.........

Well I leave the back fans as exhaust,fronts as intakes as well as a side intake.
That works good for me.May or may not for you.
Sure you can run a high speed fan at 7volts.It will just run half speed.

The 3 wire connector is the small connector with a rpm sensor, that would plug into the mother board or a fan controller. The 4 pin connector is the big connector that would plug into the power supply. It might have a separate 3 pin connector with only one rpm sensor wire in it. Which to use depends on where you plan on pluging them in.

tinam70 said:
And what about the 2 wires, everthing seems to come in 3 wire configurations?

Having 2 wires instead of 3 just means that your fans don't have an RPM sensor wire.

tinam70 said:
I take it all my fans are connected at 7v with the 2 wire setup?

It does not mean that your fans are wired to get 7v, or 12v necessarily. If it's a stock setup, I think the chance that it came wired for 7v is slim.

Thanks smmt, that hit it right on . I have some memory coming today and when i put that in I will look at the fans, connections and order some. Thanks

Thanks smmetz, that hit it right on . I have some memory coming today and when i put that in I will look at the fans, connections and order some. Thanks

Back