• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using fan controllers and detecting RPMs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smmetz

Registered
I am hooking up my case fans to a fan controller. It takes a standard 4 pin connection from the power supply, and powers and controls 4 fans with 4 3-pin connectors and 4 knobs to vary the voltages. Is it possible to wire up a fan to the controller, but just put the 2 wires to the controller which power the fan, and put the rpm sensor to the correct pin on one of the motherboard fan plugs? I want to be able to use the fan contoller, but also wish I could still see the fan RPMs.

If anyone knows if this is possible or impossible, please let me know.
Thx for answering my noob questions.

It's possible, but you'll need to either tape, solder, or glue the yellow wire to a header on the motherboard. Alternatively, you could buy a spare 3 or 2-pin connecter and connect that to the motherboard header.

I guess buying the extra 3pin adapter would work well. If you cant buy it separate, you can buy a converter or splitter wire for these fans and cannibalize the head.

Back