• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using Mozilla Thunderbird?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

secretweapon

Just downloaded this program to replace netscape's newgroup/email program. It seems to be more user friendly but isn't as smooth. Whoelse is using this? And is there any security problems with this program guys?

i used to use it a bit but i think just about everyone is using FireFox, which beats pretty much all browsers imo....

I'm using Thunderbird and find it to be great. Of course, I've never used any email client other than webmail interfaces before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think it's good enough :D As for security concerns, if there are any, they should be cleared up in the 1.0 release which is coming out soon.

JigPu

Shawn123456 said:
i used to use it a bit but i think just about everyone is using FireFox, which beats pretty much all browsers imo....

Eh? Thunderbird is an email client, not a web browser.

I've been using Thunderbird for about six months, having migrated from Outlook 2003 (I moved from Windows XP to Linux/Fedora Core2. Putting them up against each other, 2003 generally performed better (although TB0.9 is much faster than 0.7). For features, as standard, Outlook wins outright and I missed many of the functions that it gave me. But in terms of security and feature potential TB is literally millions of times better, as well as free. I now use TB for things that Outlook could never do correctly, for instance News Feed Reading (Forumzilla) and PGP Email encryption (Enigmail). It also has a supposedly very good spam filter, but I wouldn't know because I don't get any spam (touch wood).

edit: 0.8, not 0.9, typo.

Last edited:
I use TB to a limited extent. Like vinyljunky, I find the lack of features (i.e. calendar, notes, tasks) problematical when compared to Outlook. As a replacement for Outlook Express, however, it really shines. In terms of security, compared to OE, TB wins hands down.

eh? TB 0.9? 0.8 is the latest. At any rate, I've been using TB for some time now, just upped from 0.7.3 to 0.8, and I really like it. Used Netscrape prior to TB. (it was 'ok') Sorry, I won't touch Outlook in any flavor. (have to patch it every other day)I like the look/feel of TB and the ability to add themes, plus it's security.

As long as it's more secure then I am happy. Although Themes are very nice on the Firebox/Thunderbird. Makes it look more modern. MS outlook is ok at work where the calendar etc comes in handy but I wouldn't trust it with my personal information after the numerous security issues. Its just too big of a target.

I use it, I really like it. As far as customization, I think thunderbird takes it. yes, you do need to get extensions to get it to work, but there is much more flexibility. And you can teach it some basic SPAM filtering. I just like the flexibility for setting up multiple accounts on it. I monitor 4 e-mail accounts with no problem. I have used Outlook and Outlook Express and it gets too annoying to set up multiple items.

I have been using T-Bird for over a year now. I will stick with it. It also does not have the ActiveX vulnerabilities that OE has (or, it has less. I won't say it has NONE, just less).

Back