• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800PRO overheat shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

OK, so i DLed 3DMark03...and so im running it and im thinking to myself (since im using stock cooling all around) what if my video card gets too hot :eek: ? will it shut itself off? the whole system off :eek: ? will it crash the whole damn thing :eek: ? Id like some answers to these questions...by the way im using an MSI RX9800Pro (the red one with the smaller HS...i heard it also has different archetecture and look than most 9800Pro's) And is there anyway i can monitor the GPU temp on this thing? Id be really appreciative of any help...thanks

Well i dont know if it has a temp sensor or not but if it does then you can through ati tool 0.0.22. As for it getting to hot it shouldnt just as llong as you dont oc it with stock cooling. So you should be just dandy but im sure it will get a little hot w/ stock cooling but if it starets artifacting and stuff at stock you probably have a faulty card.

i just DLed the tool...i cant find where the temps are shown...ne ideas?

Click on the box on the bottom right and it takes you to another menu then in the drop down at the top it has a selection for temp.....set that to what you want.

Check your processor heatsink. Shutdowns are usually CPU related and not GPU related. You may be required to reseat the heatsink on your processor.

The power supply may have tripped. The power supply may be overloaded.

no no no...u got it wrong...it didnt shutdown on me...i was just wondering if there was a possiblility of the GPU getting overheated...since im using all stock cooling

If you are not overclocked, your GPU will not overheat. They are designed to be run as hard as any computer can run them with the stock cooling and not overheat.

Once you start overclocking you'll have to watch for artifacts and will probably want to upgrade your cooling solution.

Trios

alright..thanks guys...and i dont be doign ANY OCing until i get some WCing

Edit...hehe....OC and WC kinda rhyme... :santa:

jcw122 said:
no no no...u got it wrong...it didnt shutdown on me...i was just wondering if there was a possiblility of the GPU getting overheated...since im using all stock cooling

Oops. You said that it ended up shutting down you you, meaning literally cutting off the power.

lol im confused now...what i mean is...it didnt shut down...period (lol actually there's lots of them! periods i mean)

Back