• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8C how far is to far?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

hello ppl.

well i am running my 2.8C @ 3.4 stable no problims at all (heck my max temp is only 44C and at stcok it was 43 max)

i have been running prime 95 for about 8 hours now i just jumped in here to post this other wise it has been priming.
my v core is (in CPUZ) 1.536 -1.520

Hows that?
its got a sp94 with some 92mm i found in a box dont know how mutch air it pushes but its a bit more than my 80mm stealth i have on my hs normally.

whats with the other settings in the bois? like ddr and AGP voltage? do i need to set them more/less?

first time i oced this pc. (im not mutch of a ocer but what the hey i felt like it)

g2g school bus later thanx for any help i will reply asap.

Mine went to 250FSB dual-prime stable on air with a worse cooler than you have right now. Give it a try and see, but don't take it above 1.600Vcore on air to be safe...

LOL thats what i had it at for a bit but i thought i would lowwer it to be safe.
hey whats with the Vcore i set the vcore in the bios at 1.587 and in cpu z and asus probe it shows up as 1.588-1.6 i will get back with more accurate info in a bit g2g bell rang (school)

nice chips! hahahahha my chip sucks tha big one.
my 2.4B was faster, i swear that the HT thing is all junk i have the feeling that when i want to run 1 main aplication it will still only use 50% of the CPU even when i set the priority to realtime.

but when i get home if prime 95 is still all fine and nothing crashed and fryed then i will bump it up to 2.5 (on same air cooling)
buti need a new cpu fan (and money to buy one

syberspy9 said:
nice chips! hahahahha my chip sucks tha big one.
my 2.4B was faster, i swear that the HT thing is all junk i have the feeling that when i want to run 1 main aplication it will still only use 50% of the CPU even when i set the priority to realtime.

but when i get home if prime 95 is still all fine and nothing crashed and fryed then i will bump it up to 2.5 (on same air cooling)
buti need a new cpu fan (and money to buy one

Huh?
You need to do some more research.
HT is NOT using "50%" of the CPU. It's only using 50% of the virtual CPU..the real CPU usage is 100%. The remaining "50%" is virtual, for other applications that need it, and that other 50% draws "power" from the "first 50%" (the real 100%).

All HT will do is balance out the cpu load as evenly as it can, between the two virtual CPU's, if a 2nd process needs CPU time-------that's all ! Why are you so worried about it?

You will NEVER have 100% CPU usage showing, for 1 application with HT, unless the application is multithreaded and using SMP mode....(but it's STILL using 100% of the REAL CPU!).

i still say HT isant all that is is cracked up to be
i did know that as of about 1 month ago the whole virtual chip thing but i still feel like its only using 50% god if the guys that stole my 2.4B from princeton BC out of a mans computer shop give me my chip back i will give you this 2.8C (but i want my chip not some other 2.4B PLZ are you out there!

(sorry had to let it out. i must say it does oc ok though. 3.6 is also stable but i dont want a 48C load temp so i will stick with 3.4 at 44C load

syberspy9, turn HTT off for a week or two then turn it back on, and you will wish you hadn't said what you have about HTT.

The B chips 'mulitask' better than the C chips with HTT off, well thats what i have noticed.

My sl6wt does 4 Ghz with 1.67 vcore (i dont run it that speed daily dont want to risk the chip), but thats what it is capable of with aircooling (and low ambient temps).

I usually run it 3.71Ghz / 265FSB / 1.55v, which still kicks pretty ***..also the highest 2x24h prime stabile i can get (4Ghz fails after 2-3 hrs and runs very hot)

syberspy9 said:
were is the best place to get your true Vcore ??
asus probe jumps around and is differnt then my bios.

look in your BIOS for the idle voltages and use mbm for load ones. at least thats what i do. If theres doubt, CPU-z gives a quick answer, too.

Ok well as of now here are my stats

[email protected]
Vcore is set in bios at 1.55 (is this to high?)
the idle vcore in bios is 1.552
the load (under prime 95) Vcore is 1.504 (CPUZ it seems to be using the bios readings there the same idle ect)

the temps are 45C load (99.9% its 44 but jumps to 45 some times)
Idle is 36C

NB is Load (prime 95) 30C Idle is 27C

if i do not get a reply tonight i will be trying a lower Vcore (1.5375)

* i have rebooted and am running 1.5375 settings i will see how stable it is (seems fine so far)

Test your RAM cuz it turns out mine was the culprit I couldn't get to 265FSB 5:4 with 2-2-2 but it's stable now with 2-3-2. I figured it would be ok cuz this RAM runs 230Mhz 1:1 but at 5:4 it's a different ballpark. Use Memtest86 to iron out any memory settings/Voltages and maybe you can get higher!

Hey Sjaak; please remember to contact me if and when you ditch that chip in the future! I've got the cooling to keep her at 4Ghz... *drooling*

Lancelot said:
Hey Sjaak; please remember to contact me if and when you ditch that chip in the future! I've got the cooling to keep her at 4Ghz... *drooling*

I will.

If it happens, probably around march, i'm planning to upgrade mobo/cpu/ram then.

Proost! :beer:

Its not that i cant go higher i dont know if i want to.
i have yet to be unstable i can probbable go to 3.7 but i dont want to its just to high.
i want to get it set just right at 3.4 then record the best settings then i will see how i high it goes

Back