• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need a new Computer??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slid3r

Registered
Hello all,

I keep thinking of the question, when should i buy a new PC? My current PC is still going strong, but does not have very good specifications. Mostly what i use this pc for is downloading, music, school work, and just surfing the web. I also like to watch videoclips (ESPN Motion). What i want to know is, should i buy a new computer? I'm in love with the Compaq/HP brand. Everyone i know uses them. If i do buy a new computer, i want it to expand my performance by a considerable amount. Here are the specifications...

1200MHz AMD Athlon Processor
128MB Memory
80.0GB Hard Drive
DVD-ROM Drive
CD-ROM Drive
32MB Nvidia TNT2 Graphics Card
Sound Baster Audio
Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card

Again, would i expierence any substantial performence increase if i invest in a new Computer say around Christmas.

Thanks,
Matt

If the computer you have does what you need then keep it!... If you are looking to burn money then sure go for it, you could always upgrade what you have. You don't need a faster CPU or more ram for what you use the PC for. Faster CPU wouldn't let you browse the web faster, thats really your internet connection. Also music and Video's are not CPU intensive, only advantage with a new computer is you can probebly open them faster, but this isn't really an issue.

I have a P4 1.6 which is over 2 years old... maybe 3 and I work on it day in - day out with cpu intensive design programs but it does the job for right now... Unless you are looking to get into gaming just keep what you have. Although to be honest to get into gaming you could just get a $150 video card... I play Doom3 on high 1280 res with my p4 1.6 and a 5900XT.

If it does what you need, then I suggest you keep what you're using now. However, raising the amount of memory you have to 256 MB or even better, 512 MB will improve your performance greatly.

Thanks for the info guys...

A few more questions...

Unless you are looking to get into gaming just keep what you have. Although to be honest to get into gaming you could just get a $150 video card.

I would probably upgrade my video card to fill that, but the problem is, i don't know what motherboard it is. I also have no clue what any specific specs on my computer is. I have done research apon research to try and figure it out, but i end up empty. If you could figure out what a Compaq 7000US series Presario specs are, i would be greatly appriciated.

If you don't know what any of your hardware is go to download.com and get sandra, it should tell you most everything. If you want to upgrade your vid card just make sure you got a agp slot. It should come with one my old compaq with a 1.3 athlon had a agp slot, don't know if it was 4X or 8X tho.

cpu-z will tell you what your mobo is, agp speed (though at a guess i'd say yours is 4X) ram, latencies, chipset, the works...

get it here

Slid3r said:
Again, would i expierence any substantial performence increase if i invest in a new Computer say around Christmas.

Yes you would, but if it does everything you need it too, then its all good.
Really the only reseaon to get a new computer (or upgrade) is for games.

Build it yourself if you choose to get a new one.

Back