• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For those of you who fear Steam...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YellowDart

I grabbed this off CS Nation's home page...

Also, yep there will be a DVD-sized option for the Backup feature too. It's not going to actually burn the discs, but it will create a self-extracting archive that is broken up into the appropriate-size files

So it looks like Valve may actually do something really cool here to support their products in the near future and allow us to burn backup copies of our games that we download via steam. :clap:

-=[edit]=-

www.csnation.net

Last edited:
YellowDart said:
So it looks like Valve may actually do something really cool here to support their products in the near future and allow us to burn backup copies of our games that we download via steam. :clap:

So they are going to require us to own a dvd writer and buy a empty disc? They should lower the price of the steam version because they don't have to spend on things like cd cases and stuff. And why backup the game if u can download it again?

ninthebin said:
havent you always been able to just keep your .gcf files which hold all the info anyway? :S

Yes, but w/ this new backup system, I'm wondering if it'll allow you to burn what would essentially be your own copy of the retail boxed versions of these games.

Panzerknacker said:
So they are going to require us to own a dvd writer and buy a empty disc? They should lower the price of the steam version because they don't have to spend on things like cd cases and stuff. And why backup the game if u can download it again?

I could be wrong, but if you read that first sentence a little closer... or read more into it, I guess, it almost sounds like they'll allow us to determine whether we want it to be arranged for a CD or DVD. If valve does this, I doubt they'd disregard CD's all together. That would be silly. :p

You don't need to burn it to a CD or DVD. They are doing that to allow people on slower internet connections and the like to back it up. Even for those of us on fast broadband connection, it's going to be a lot faster to just copy it from a CD instead of downloading it off of steam again.

Flashfx2 said:
You don't need to burn it to a CD or DVD. They are doing that to allow people on slower internet connections and the like to back it up. Even for those of us on fast broadband connection, it's going to be a lot faster to just copy it from a CD instead of downloading it off of steam again.

how often would you reinstall something? personally, i wouldn't mind downloading it every year when reformatting.... boo-freakin-hoo... 6 hours TOPS

i reformat frequently and it is a "boo freakin hoo" when i reformat because i just got a new graphics card and i wanted to best performace out of it as possible (with a fresh xp install) and i have to wait 6 hours to test it

Back