• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How the heck do I set up the partition table to install yoper?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dancing_Priest

Hey
Okay, first of all I'll admit I'm clueless here, so much so that I dont even know what questions to search for to get an answer.
Here goes.
I'm installing Yoper.
Im using a spare 20gig drive I have

1- How EXACTLY do I set up the partition table? I how do I format the root drive, the home drive and the swap partition? (do I want a home drive)

2- where do I put lilo? in /home, root, or swap?

3-Is there a step by step guide to installing yoper anywhere?

The Yoper install program does it all for you. The only real decision you have to make is how large to make your two partitions. The swap needs to be at least (and I can't remeber the size off-hand but the install program tells right in it what the minimum size is).

That's one of the advantages of Yoper, quick, easy install.

DWolf:cool:

/ should be at least 5 GB so you have room for installing stuff
your swap partition only needs to be a few hundred MB, but that depedns on how much ram you have too...
/home is where your personal files go so you'll want several GB for that
I'd go for around 8GB /, 11GB /home, and 200-500MB swap

The yoper installer will give its own partitioning utilities- you have a choice between qtparted and cfdisk. The former is graphical, the later test-based.

Lilo will be installed to your MBR, and not really on any partition.

No, you don't need a seperate /home partition. Its up to you on what you want to do. Think of /home as the 'My Documents' folder in windows. Its where all your setting and personal files end up. It can either be its own partion (/home) or can end up on your /root partition (think of this as /windows). Either way works. Nice part about having your own /home partion is when you reinstall you only need to wipe the /root partition, so you can see that everything in /home stays in /home.

As far as swap space goes, there is an equation to decide how large to make it depending on the amount of physcial ram. For me I run a 512mb swap with a Gb of physcial ram. If I had 512mb of ram, Id run a larger swap. Worst part about having too small of a swap is obvious, running out of swap space, what happens then you ask? Well linux just starts killing other running aplications. Not good as you can guess.

Cheers for the help, it seems that myproblem was caused by a bad H/D
Umm, on another note, how would you go about removing lilo from the MBR of a hard drive with only windows on it? :beer:

Boot a windows CD (2k/XP) and go into the recovery console. Run the command

fixmbr

Back