• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 1.8ghz or Sempron 2200 for Media Playback?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donutman

Hi, I'm building a htpc. It will have an ASUS nforce2 board, that supports up to 400 mhz. However, for now I will only have 266mhz memory.

I'm planning on buying a temporary cpu (to use the next 6-12 months) and with a budget of approx 50 USD on this component, it comes down to the following:
a) Duron, 1.8 ghz, 50 USD
b) Sempron 2200 (1.5ghz), 45 USD

The duron is 266 mhz while the sempron is running on 333.

Not sure if I lose anything by getting the Sempron and running asynchronously with memory??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Long term plans is to ditch the cpu and memory, and get cpu&mem running 400mhz, probably xp3000 or more+2x256mb memory.

Thanks

-Tom

Then I think Duron would be better. As far as I know you can still unlock the cache to get full TBred ( correct me if I am wrong )

Hamm3r, thanks! I guess I should investigate how to do that, since I don't know it off-hand :) I'm also thinking it may be possible to overclock the Duron quite a bit. The ASUS board is supposedly pretty good for overclocking. (Though my main reason for getting it, is the Soundstorm functionality, i.e. realtime encoding/decoding of DD 5.1)

-Tom

Thats where the handy dandy search button! I think im going to invest this my self...id like to change my duron into a tbred.

Hamm3r said:
Then I think Duron would be better. As far as I know you can still unlock the cache to get full TBred ( correct me if I am wrong )

not likely anymore...

Back