• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UEnvyMyStyle

Registered
I'm going to upgrade and Im looking at building a 1.4 or faster athalon....what is the best bet for a motherboard that will not break the bank..also is getting DDR worth it.....

no board and chip
32mb ati pro rage
soundblaster
dvd
cd-rw
zip and floppy

UEnvyMyStyle said:
I'm going to upgrade and Im looking at building a 1.4 or faster athalon....what is the best bet for a motherboard that will not break the bank..also is getting DDR worth it.....

no board and chip
32mb ati pro rage
soundblaster
dvd
cd-rw
zip and floppy

DDR systems are better. For economy you could get a mobo from ECS, for performance an Epox 8K7A, or an ABIT KG7. The Epox and Abit will be about double the ECS mobo but you will be able to overclock the ABIT or Epox a lot more.

Ok i think the epox is going to be the choice now i just have to hunt a 1.4 for cheap....any ideas....
also i have seen pictures of programs in users posts, these programs tell about the system and what its running at...where do i get one of these and what are they thanks

Yep the Epox would be a great board for you - it's not too pricey but has loads of tweaking options. DDR memory is also the same price as PC133 now, and as both are dirt cheap you should be able to get plenty without hurting your bank account.

As for those programs, you're probably referring to WCPUID, as that's what most people use. SiSoft Sandra is also great, and very popular for benchmarking.

checkout newegg which has some pretty good deals on both the 1.4 with stepping and without and epox mobos( highly suggest the 8k7a or a iwill) :D. Otherwise can compare prices on pricewatch.

I would recommend the ABIT KT7E mobo which is very reasonably priced and is a top quality board...it may not have the almighty DDR ram, but it has great OC potential with ease of configuration (Softmenu III). Make mine ABIT...if ya gotta go DDR, consider the KG 7...

Xprincox said:
checkout newegg which has some pretty good deals on both the 1.4 with stepping and without and epox mobos( highly suggest the 8k7a or a iwill) :D. Otherwise can compare prices on pricewatch.

What is stepping? I saw that on newegg.com Newegg.com is a good website..but this offer the best prices online all the time though. They have good shipping prices though. But they include tax though...which sux.....I was planning to get the EPOX 8KTA but I think im holding off for the KT266A chipset. Late -wU

Well I suggest you to use MSI K7T266 - Pro
And get other sound card instead because SB is bad for VIA's chips. Get an internal ZIP and get a slower DVD and CDRW. Slow is actually safe. And also get a 5400 HDD. Use 128MB DDR first.

Or easier...

Buy 2nd hand stuff

wunautica said:

What is stepping? I saw that on newegg.com Newegg.com is a good website..but this offer the best prices online all the time though. They have good shipping prices though. But they include tax though...which sux.....I was planning to get the EPOX 8KTA but I think im holding off for the KT266A chipset. Late -wU

Well stepping is basically a "easier" chip to oc i guess. But basically all cpu's have stepping. But the one you saw on newegg with the stepping is, i suppose hand picked cpu's that will OC better compared to the regular one. i guess thats the explanation in laymens terms :D So good chip, nice overclocking

Back