• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I stuff up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ba!nesy

Hey guys, just ordered some parts for a new build, for the longest time I was going for a 3200mhz Ram kit. But what's that I see right next to the ram kit I am looking at? a 3600mhz kit at the same price? Fo' sho' (Not how it went down btw). 1st up didn't check CL timing's, 3200-16cl and 3600-18cl (same same from what I can tell).
What I also didn't think about, was checking if it was compatible with my motherboard, MSI B450a pro max (Ryzen5 3600 is the cpu is that also helps).
Looking into it it doesn't seem the Motherboard "supports" the ram I've chosen. Just wondering how much I may have screwed up if at all? All I've been hearing is "Ryzen loves fast ram" the faster the better I thought?
It looks like I might be able to get around it with a Mobo Bios upgrade, (never done one before, but it looks simple enough).

What should I expect to see just plugged in out of the box?
What should I expect if I enabled XMP (Or amd equivalent)?
What should I expect after a bios upgrade?

Links to parts below.
Thanks for any help.

Ram 3200mhz - https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en...-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233894?&quicklink=true

Ram 3600mhz - https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en...-sdram/p/N82E16820236596?Item=N82E16820236596

Mobo - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-A-PRO-MAX

AMD is more finicky with memory than intel, but it should still work. Update the bios to the latest version and hope for the best...tha5 xmp/docp/a xmp (whatever msi calls it) works!

1. 2133 mhz... jedec specs
2. The speed on the memory box.
3. Not much more. What were you thinking to expect here?

1. 2133 mhz... jedec specs
2. The speed on the memory box.
3. Not much more. What were you thinking to expect here?

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that because it wasn't "Supported" just enabling XMP might not have gotten the speed to the timings on the box and go to the next lower settings, and that a Bios update MAY have fixed that, or not because it still wasn't listed.
Haven't enabled XMP before so I didn't know what to expect. (Haven't overclocked anything at all before really.)

It may not get to those speeds, you are correct. But that is what enabling XMP should do (run the speeds on the memory box). 2x8GB DDR4 3600 shouldn't be an issue with your setup. :)

A BIOS update can help in those situations. This is why you should update to the latest version and then give it a go.

It may not get to those speeds, you are correct. But that is what enabling XMP should do (run the speeds on the memory box).
So the supported speeds are just stock kit speeds? Is that how it reads?
So if for example I had a 3232mhz ram kit, Out of the box it would run at 3200mhz, but enabling XMP Should get it to 3232, It's not that it won't work at all if it's not on the supported list, just it won't work at those speeds out of the box (I understand there's more to it than that, but generally that's the idea?)

Your system will default to the JEDEC speeds on the sticks (see this in spd tab of CPUz). Typically this is 2133. So first boot is a compatibility thing. Enable xmp/docp and they should then run the speed on the box. The sticks are at 'stock' speed but the integrated memory controller on the cpu is overclocked running the sticks. Your platform's max stock speed is 3200. Anything over that is overclocking the imc.

Hmm, not completely getting it. But you've convinced me that I shouldn't run into any problems. I'll see how it goes once everything has been delivered. Thanks.

Maybe open up cpuz and take a look at what im saying. ;)

Your cpu's max memory speed without ovdrclocking its IMC is 3200mhz. But by default, systems first boot to 2133 speeds from the JEDEC profile for compatibility reasons. The user then applies the xmp profile (stored on the ram like jedec) to reach the speeds listed on the box of the ram.

Look at the spd tab in CPUz that reports your sticks and see all the profiles. ;)

Supported sticks listed in the QVC are simply ones that have been tested to work at advertised speeds with that motherboard. It's not meant to imply that all other RAM kits will not run at full advertised speed. Many others will.

Back