• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Caned vs. Compressed air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sunrunner20

Masta Tweeka!
I’m wondering why everybody is always referring to caned air instead of air from an air compressor. Is there some reason not to use the air from the compressor? Or is it just the majority of people don’t have an air compressor handy?

Canned air is convenient, it is in a small container and easily protable. Compressed air comes in a big bulky tank. I do remember somewhere reading about a person that made a used Fire Extinguisher into a compressed air can.

capmuffin said:
I fill up a fire extinguisher up with air.the canned air is CRAP

Why is it crap? I think you might have a good idea for a guide. I am sure If you wrote a guide about how to use a used fire extinguisher as canned air it would do our members some good and just might get front page coverage if you were to submit it;)

Kendan said:
Why is it crap? I think you might have a good idea for a guide. I am sure If you wrote a guide about how to use a used fire extinguisher as canned air it would do our members some good and just might get front page coverage if you were to submit it;)
Will do

My dad is a nyc fireman and after a few years the fire extinuishers arent alowed to be used anymore(thier huge reusable) but the city thinks they where out so my dad brings em home. Its a pain to fill them up because you have to fill and empty it alot to get all the water/chem out.

but the canned air is crap. Why? I bought some from staples to clean my case(sits on floor w/ window open) and the pressure sucked,you have to keep the can STRAIGHT UP,the slightest turn all the co2 came out... it is better to take a drinking straw and blow the dust out urself,your lungs are free unlike 7 bux for Air in-a can

I think the canned air is crap too. I use to use it to blow dust off of slides among other things and it was always leaking the CO2 all over my film. I guess it might be okay for blowing a heatsink out but I wouldn't ever do it with the computer plugged in.

On the other hand air compressors are fairly expensive.

The only time I'll used the canned air is when I can get a can for free such as after a mail-in-rebate. Otherwise that stuff is just so overpriced that it isn't worth my money. When I don't have a can of it I'll just blow out what I can myself and the vaccum cleaner takes care of the rest :D

Not to mention the environmental cost of all of those cans being discarded (not that were the most environmentally correct bunch anyway ;) )

It's not for everyone, but as a dive master, its quite easy for me just to use compressed air from my scuba tank. I just hooked up an old first stage regulator to the tank and installed an old BCD line on the low-pressure port. A small air gun which connects to the BCD connector finished the job.

^^^^^^^^ Use that on you cpu :D

I think thats a little much but try it.worste thing it can do it knock you case over and break everything

also glad to see more Air-in-a-can HATE!

Yea, Caned air is SO overpriced its not funny. My dad turned an old R12 container into a air tank, and we also have a main air compresser, we use it so much that it was worth the $. Now i'll just need to buy some sort of filter for the air.

i have used my air compressor innumurable times and have had no problems with moisture at all and i find that canned air is way to expensive so i just use what i have at hand...

I find that vacuums produce way to much static (killed a computer cleaning it at school with the vacuum and static discharged off of the nozzle and fried the mobo) and do not do a very good job

I only use the vaccum to suck all the dust out of my fan filters (which are usually white with dust after a couple weeks...... I have a black case btw) and any particles that happen to be at the bottom of my case as well. I wouldn't suggest using it to clean your cards or your motherboard because like you say, it has a habit of creating some nice static charges :D

i use a portable air pump that was intended for use with inflatable beds and it is FAR better than a can of compressed air.

nah the teacher did not care cause they were donated from the irs and i put them all together and setup up the 40 computer network all with hand-me-down networking components...

i got an A in that class for sitting on the computer and playing multiplayer starcraft with my friend... :D

Just get a shopvac. It has a blowhole so you can just blow air out of the hose instead of sucking in. It works perfectly and the air is already filtered by the vaccum bag.

Back