• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I be able to play HL2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminat.

Okay, I'm kind of worried about not being able to play HL2 very well. Here's my spec:

Athlon XP 2800+ At 2.19Ghz (3200+ Barton)
1GB PC3200 DDR
MSI K7N2 Delta Series NForce2 Motherboard
120GB 7200rpm IDE IBM Deskstar Disk Drive
MSI Radeon 9800 Pro At 417/370Mhz
Nexus NX-350 Super Silent PSU

How well will I be able to play it? At max. settings?

Terminat. said:
Okay, I'm kind of worried about not being able to play HL2 very well. Here's my spec:

Athlon XP 2800+ At 2.19Ghz (3200+ Barton)
1GB PC3200 DDR
MSI K7N2 Delta Series NForce2 Motherboard
120GB 7200rpm IDE IBM Deskstar Disk Drive
MSI Radeon 9800 Pro At 417/370Mhz
Nexus NX-350 Super Silent PSU

How well will I be able to play it? At max. settings?

If this is the minimum requirments to play, what makes you think you can't?

1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet connection to register
:confused:

BTW....There's a game forum here somewhere, do a search for HL2 and see what ya get.;)

no. to be honest, i dont think halflife2 will even run on your computer.

DUH...geez, of course its going to work. id say 1024x768 at mostly high settings

Sorry

Obviously it's going to work - what I meant was: to what degree?

Evidently I'm not going to run it with 6xAA/16xAF, but I would like to run it at 1280*1024, max. detail settings? From what any of you have seen, or know of HL2 so far, how will it run like that?

Since my system's kind of getting on (Socket A, original DDR, AGP, NForce2) I was just kind of worried

well, i doubt it at those settings.i'll guess your rig will be at 1024 low settings.
throwing a 2500 mobile in will help some but from the looks of the svreen shots i think were both going to be screwed.

id ahve to disagree...the processor doesnt seem to be an issue. his 9800pro is probably going to get in the way a bit, but im very confident youll do 1024x768 with high settings

well i have pretty close to the same rig except a faster processor and i can run 1024,high on far cry and 1024,med doom3.and it looks like hl2 will be even worse.

id ahve to disagree...the processor doesnt seem to be an issue. his 9800pro is probably going to get in the way a bit, but im very confident youll do 1024x768 with high settings
going from a tbred1700@2 to my mobile@ 2.5 made a good difference in my games

that is a very nice system, and it will run hl:2 perfectly fine.
sounds like you have a nicer system ;) but at 1280,max settings????

Last edited:
well i have pretty close to the same rig except a faster processor and i can run 1024,high on far cry and 1024,med doom3.and it looks like hl2 will be even worse.

You sure? My system runs Far Cry absolutely fine at very high detail with 1280*1024 resolution.

Thanks for all the replies so far :)

what if i put in a ati 9700 pro, some guy is selling to to me for 130$ canadian, which i think is like 90-100$ USD

Stiffler69 said:
what if i put in a ati 9700 pro, some guy is selling to to me for 130$ canadian, which i think is like 90-100$ USD

A 9700PRO is just as good as it's big brother 9800PRO, you should be fine with that card.

Stiffler69 said:

well not for sure how that converts to american either but if you can get it for under a hundred(american) i think it would be worth it.definetly acouple steps up from what you have now.also another 512 ram will help alot on these modern games.i seen a good performance increase going from 512 to 1gig.

football said:
A 9700PRO is just as good as it's big brother 9800PRO, you should be fine with that card.

close,at stock settings.but once oc'd the performance gap widens alittle more. i get my buddies in about everything and can generaly play my games at higher detail with us both haveing almost identical rigs.

i might be able to get a AIW 9700 PRO built by ati, for like even cheaper but apparantly some vertical lines show up when on high refresh rate the guy says so i might just stick to a normal 9700 pro.

dont do it.if i remerber right ati aiw's were alittle crippled compared to the retails untill the 9800 line.
just get the pro

Back