• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DUMPREP.exe....WHAT IN HECK IS THIS THING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

HELP! i just got brand new comp completely garfunckled with some retarded process called dumprep.exe....it comes up randomly and rarely...but using TONS of my comps resources....its insane...there are always multiple processes of it too...like 2-5 of them. one process alone was using up 100k of my memory and it kept rising....it is ridiculous....does ne one know what the hell this thing is or has experienced it before? i just did a full virus scan with AVG (free edition)...nothing...Ad-aware...nothing....and Zonealarm never picked up ne thing either....does ne one know what is wrong? HELP!! I WONT TOLERATE IT AGAIN ITS RIDICULOUS!

Used in connection with memory dumps - you can disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out

I got this from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/page-0.html

Advice: Breath. Easy on the caps. Abbreviations take more time for everyone to read than they save you while typing.

Problem: 100k of memory is hardly anything, almost completely negligible. Mysterious processes that you do not recognize can often be researched through google also, so you may find that helpful in the future and it is even quicker.

If you take Don's advice I would expect that to solve your problem. You do not need the debugging information unless your computer is having wierd problems, and even then you only need to enable it in very rare cases. (think "never", unless under the advise of a technically inclined individual)

dumprep - dumprep.exe - Process Information

Process File: dumprep or dumprep.exe
Process Name: Dump Reporting Tool

Description:
dumprep.exe forms a part of Microsoft Windows XP (and later versions), in-built fault logging software. Upon serious errors this program will write the details to a text file and request the information be sent to Microsoft. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for third party use.
For More Detailed Process Information Get WinTasks 5 Pro
Author: Microsoft Corp.
Part Of: Microsoft Windows Operating System

System Process: Yes
Background Process: Yes
Uses Network: No
Hardware Related: No
Common Errors: N/A

Security Risk (0-5): 0
Virus: No ( Remove )
Spyware: No ( Remove )
Trojan: No ( Remove )