• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what card??? help please! :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackpaladin

well basically, it looks like my 9800pro is shot... this really sucks since i have no warranty on it, since i won the card at a lan party. the 5v pin on the connector is fried and i dont think anything but minor surgery is going to get it working decently again. so now im stuck with trying to get a card that can hold me over until the spring when i get my new toys (SLI anyone??? ) i was thinking about getting the 9550 ( i think that is the one you can soft mod to 9700?? ), but im not sure on anything yet.. basically, it needs to cost under $100 at the max, and give me decent performance in WoW, CoD, and some other stuff, but those two are gonna be mostly all that im playing until then. any advice anyone???

The 9550 can't be softmodded since they have the 128bit mem, check the classifieds or ebay for a used card, but if you could get a ti cheap performance but no 9.0 support. There are some 9600pro for less the 100 aslwell just watch out for the ones with 64bit. If the card is not dead I think you should try to fix it post a pic so I can see how bad is the damage.

yeah, if your going to get a new 1 maybe anyways, might as well try and fix it, save some money and learn something

Shot meaning fried or just broken? Can you take a pic. Cuss if it is just broken off or something i can solder it back on for you. I have good soldering skills.

the thing is, i could take alot of time and solder it and hope it works right now, but i dont have the time for that. i head back to college tomorrow, and i need something fast that works decently. i think that i will be able to fix it, but i still think im going to need a temp card to hold me over for a little while, during the time its being fixed. i dont have a dig camera, but the second i can borrow one, i will post up some pics. to put it simply, the pin on the vid card is black and fried, and the molex for the corresponding pin (its the 5v rail pin) is brown and stuff as well...

The 9550 is an underclocked 9600 and not a bad card, assuming you get one with 128bit ram. You are best off browsing the classifieds and picking up a used card.

well i got some good news in my hunt for a good card here. my dad offered to split the cost with me so i can now spend about 150 bucks or so on a card now. i was looking at a powercolor 9800se since they softmod to a 9800pro most of the time... regradless, i need suggestions and fast on what to get... i will have to go through the bigger sites since i need it shipped fast, so this really only gives me the option of buying from newegg, tigerdirect, and such. advice please and fast!!! :D

well ive decided to take my chances on getting a powercolor 9800se. hopefully they get it in stock soon so i can get it fast. either way, ill be softmodding this for sure whenever i get it. :D

well hehehe, this is a triple post now, but anyways... i found the card in stock (with the software bundle no less) at futurepowerpc.com. i went to reseller ratings and the place has like a 8.5ish or something like that rating with good reviews so im gonna place the order there soon. its only 148 for it right now, and thats a good price :p wish me luck that i get a good softmodder :D

EDIT: nvm... i just looked more and for some reason, now its not available... this is really driving me up the wall. ive looked at like 6 different places, and NOONE has the darn thing in stock right now :(

Back