• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my 9800 pro.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Well to start this off I got home after work tonight and wake up my computer and notice things look a little "off" on my desktop. There was a pink line on my taskbar and things looked a little odd. So I go and restart my computer and some of the letters on the first screen during boot have pink in them. The second sata install screen is fine but then the 3rd boot screen all the letters are crazy symbols. So it kinda boots into windows (getting weird artifacts on the welcome screen) and then the screen just goes blank. Then the tool bar would appear for a bit, then disapear. Then the mouse cursor would apear and disapear. Then the whole screen went black and I got these green lines everywhere.

My 9800pro is watercooled so I freaked out and thought it got leaked on or something so I took it out and bathed it in 99% Isopropanol and let it dry and put it back in. It was still doing the same weird things when I put it back in. So now I am really freaking out.

Anyway I go and boot in safe mode and everything looks normal (still get weird symbols in the bios but the windows setting is perfect in safe mode). So I uninstal the drivers for my card and instal the basic visual setting ones of the cd. So I reboot in normal mode (still getting all the weird problems) and reinstall some new drivers, this does not solve my problem at all.

So I again go back into safe mode and remove all the ATI drivers from my computer and boot back into windows in normal, and I have zero screen problems (still the bios ones though). So sitting here with no drivers means no display problems at all.

Does anyone have ANY idea what is wrong with my computer? I mean if I dont have drivers installed why would that make my card not give off weird aritifacts? I dont really know what to think any help would be great :D.

*update* Well I was sitting in windows in normal mode and instal the display drivers for my card and the display stays normal. I go to adjust the refresh rate and the weird display problems are back, my white msg windows have yellow bars on them, and some of my stuff has pink outlines. So it is clearly the drivers that are causing my display to get all screwed. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ok so these problems in Windows only show up when I am actually using drivers for my card. If I have no drivers installed windows and my desktop look perfect with no problems at all. Hopefully this helps some more :D.

Ad Rock, I'm facing EXACTLY same problem over here, but without drivers half of my screen is filled with greenish small dots and half of the screen looks like it should. In POST / DOS mode some of my letters are a bit pink somewhere, and somwhere they are red. I've had a good fight with card now like for ~8 hours, and I've kinda tried everything in my opinion what would help me but none of them are helped. Keep me posted if you figure out what is the problem with this shait :(

It's likely to be a bad memory, try returning or RMAing the product. Good luck. (It happened to me with 9800PRO and FX5900 too)

oc_byagi said:
It's likely to be a bad memory, try returning or RMAing the product. Good luck. (It happened to me with 9800PRO and FX5900 too)

Sorry but I didn't tell ya ;) My Radeon is voltmodded (vgpu/vmem) so how in the earth am I supposed to get this RMAed? :D

Well it seems like you're not alone, my watercooled 9800 pro is giving the same results. This happened to me the same day I got World of Warcraft and I was very angry needless to say. When the bootup screen scrolls through, some letters are missing from the text and also there are tiny white boxes evenly spaced all over the screen. Then if it makes it to the windows login screen, its about half the size and split in two. Well, if I go into safe mode it still looks like crap, but i can uninstall the video card and when i reboot, the bootup text still has the same problem, but windows looks fine. So mine works with no drivers only. Do I smell a 6800 Ultra on the horizon? BTW, i replaced the card that day with a superfast GeForce MX 4400 from Best Buy for the time being.

Also I have been plagued by atidvdiag.dll errors ever since I got this card. More BSOD's than I can remember and mostly totally random.

Back