• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

over clocking a 9800 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sanc7ified

Registered
ok ive got a 9800 pro 128 MB 256 bit card

what is a safe core/memory speed for this card?

once i flash XT bios to this card will beable to maintain higher speeds?

thanks

before you do any of that overclocking and bio flashing you should have some good cooling. Not the stock cooling

well my mobo is 84 F my CPU is 93 F and my AUX is 82 F

ive tried OCing it to 412/366 and Atitool restarted my PC and set it back to defaults.. i only have a 4x AGP slot, could that have anything to do with it...people have told me that i shouldnt be having this problem.. its just a regular ATI 9800 pro

any ideas?

You need to have better cooling like OCLinNoob says. The stock heatsink/fan on a 9800 Pro is not good enough to run the card at XT speeds with the extra heat that will be generated.
Don't just set the clock and mem speeds manually, you need to go slowly and let ATI tool test for artifacts after each incremental increase. If you cannot reach XT speeds then DO NOT flash the BIOS.

You really want to replace the stock cooling before starting to push your card hard.

Your best bet is to grab yourself a VGA Silencer (newegg sells them: CLICK HERE) for that card, which will almost definetely make enough of a temperature difference to get you started nicely.

awesome... im actually about to sell this card and buy a x800 pro. i just wanted to see what i could get out of it before i sold it

Sadly my memory wouldnt overclock to XT speeds, it was a bit unstable I was pissed. With an ATI silencer you could go big on core

felinusz said:
You really want to replace the stock cooling before starting to push your card hard.

Your best bet is to grab yourself a VGA Silencer (newegg sells them: CLICK HERE) for that card, which will almost definetely make enough of a temperature difference to get you started nicely.

Do you have to remove the metal shim with that fan?

Jacobman said:
Do you have to remove the metal shim with that fan?
if you mean this shim no you dont
Picture%20169.jpg

Depends. If your h/s makes good contact with core then no, if not then yup. Generally speaking, 9800s don't have this problem. this was an issue,however, with the 9700p and aftermarket h/s.
check my clock (in my sig). i am on stock cooling...but ghetto modded. two case fans blowing over the card, and two stock barton fans straped to the ati h/s and on the back of the core.

Back