• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anybody done any wire mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Anybody here done any wire mods, where you put a wire into the socket to force an adjust to the CPU's vcore.

I tried doing it, placed them in all the correct positions, but when i started it up, it didnt work. i used a thin copper strip from a phone cord.

any ideas what went wrong?

Make sure you got the right holes, it is easy to get the orientation of the socket wrong, and make sure it doesn't hit any other pins.

i did that, how long did u have ur wires? i had mine about 10mm in length for the holes that were next to each other...

the cpu didnt fit all too comftably..i had to give it a little push to get it in, could that be the problem ?

then what do u think went wrong in mine ?

What type of wire did u use?

I haven't heard of A64 wire mods yet. You might do some research on that. Are the pins smaller on the A64's though? You might have trouble mashing the wire in there.

oh god dont even think about it...like twice as many pins as on the AXP's

If u really had to, go to a jewlers and get him to do it, it would take absolutley AGES and get u so frustrated, by the end that cpu will be stuck on the wall.

i found it hard enuff getting my wires on the socket 462, not to mention on a socket with nearly twice as many holes rofl

If you are talking about the L12 mod for higher FSB on the t-bird, it'll depend on the mod bios you are using and your mobo. You need to use the mod bios made for your board to achieve higher FSB. No mod bios won't help you. Most L12 mod only requires one small wire but there are a few mod bios that requires 2 wires. Do you have a mod bios installed?

urm no...im not even that sure what that is...

basically i added some wires to the socket to Up my vcore from 1.56 to 1.65, but nothing happened
i can do the FSB in my bios at the moment, but cant do vcore adjustments and thats what i need, cos its unstable on prime95 at higher than 1.85 with current vcore (which is very low vcore for stock, i looked and they came at 1.6v stock, so mine is quite a bit undervolted)

ps2cho said:
oh god dont even think about it...like twice as many pins as on the AXP's

If u really had to, go to a jewlers and get him to do it, it would take absolutley AGES and get u so frustrated, by the end that cpu will be stuck on the wall.

i found it hard enuff getting my wires on the socket 462, not to mention on a socket with nearly twice as many holes rofl

try it with some tweezers :beer:

ps2cho said:
Anybody here done any wire mods, where you put a wire into the socket to force an adjust to the CPU's vcore.

I tried doing it, placed them in all the correct positions, but when i started it up, it didnt work. i used a thin copper strip from a phone cord.

any ideas what went wrong?

Probally have the wire in the wrong place. I have done it wrong 2 times for every time I have done it right. Sometimes the guides show the socket, other times the CPU, othertimes the inverse of the CPU/Sokcet + 8. So tripple check it, and try again. It will be hard to get the cpu in, well, not hard, but it will not drop in like they normally do. Should require a little effort, and it should go in snug.

The best way I found to do it, was to take a 1cm piece of wire, and bend it into a U. Grab it with some small needle nose pliers, and drop it in, press it down all the way, and then stick the CPU in.

Which CPU do you have and which mod are you trying to do? It is also possible that what you think you can do, cannot be done with the hardware you have.

See if your bios has the option to load optimized defaults. Small tweezers make it much easier, and a single strand from a stranded wire works great.

What do you mean by "it does nothing" what are you using to check the Vcore. Is it possible that that measurement is just off?

I am also confused by this "but cant do vcore adjustments and thats what i need" are you thinking the mod will allow you to change the VCore to something higher in your bios? If you are thinking that the mod will not do that, it will give you watever vcore you selected with the pin mod and nothing else. If what i think you ment by that is completely wrong please correct me.

If you still have problems just take all the wires out and do it all over and see if it works. I suggest doing it like fishy said as that is exacly how i do it.

<<Spider>> - Some bioses dont have options to change the Vcore so you need to do it manually.

Somebody was asking about editing the BIOS hexa codes to get more VCore. So do we have to do a wire mod and use a hacked BIOS? I'm a bit confused abt this. Please help.

Ok my Current Motherboard (ESC K7VTA3 Rev8) Doesnt allow Vcore adjustments inside the BIOS. Its locked, cannot access it.
I dont really...want to buy a new motherboard til this one has had its time done well, so i want to do a Wire mod to Throw at my CPU more voltage as im stuck at 1.85GHz, any higher and its no longer prime95 stable and crashes my games after about 15mins.

Now do i follow the SOCKET View on placing the pins in, or the CPU view ? because they are backwards for each, now how does it work with it backwards in each of the views?

oh and when i mean it did nothing.

i checked the BIOS Vcore reading, it still said 1.56V, i also doubled checked SPEEDFAN, and it also said 1.56b

Choose the socket view the white if you choose the 1.675v wire mod you will only need 2 wires, to make sure you have the correct one you should have a V shape mod just under the left corner of the inside square. make sure you only choose the vcore setting do not enter any other info i.e bus speed,multiplier as this will show other wire positions as well and confuse you. I used 1strand of old internal computer speaker wire.
you will be putting at least 2 wires into 1 hole which will make your cpu a bit tight when you push it in the socket. Hope this helps. If not maybe you cannot do the volt mod.

http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/main_workshop.html

what do u mean by i might not be able?

could it be possible, that no wire mods work on it?

Back