• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Modem = Higher CPU Temps????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shuRe

Today i was mukin bout switching the modem from my main rig to my lappy, and notice when i dont have the modem plugged into my main rig its 3-5C cooler!! Once i plug the usb cable into the mobo the temps instantly go up 3-5C, regardless of if im on the net or not :s. This rig isnt connected to a lan or anything, so cant see why in hell it heats up my cpu :s

(modem is a speedtouch cheap one isp gave me, on a 512kb connection)

shuRe said:
Today i was mukin bout switching the modem from my main rig to my lappy, and notice when i dont have the modem plugged into my main rig its 3-5C cooler!! Once i plug the usb cable into the mobo the temps instantly go up 3-5C, regardless of if im on the net or not :s. This rig isnt connected to a lan or anything, so cant see why in hell it heats up my cpu :s

(modem is a speedtouch cheap one isp gave me, on a 512kb connection)

The only possible reason that this may occur is due to the fact that USB connections draw reserved cycles from your processor. When no such USB ports are in use, there is no need for additional power to be diverted from the cpu. Of course, this is a longshot if I do say so myself, and there is a much greater chance that there is an issue with Smartguardian improperly reading your temperatures. So I wouldn't be too worried here.

deception``

Dude, there is surely no way in hell a modem can effect CPU temps??? :confused:

i cant believe it myself, if it wasnt my mobo giving me rubbish temp readings, its things like my modem causing my cpu temp from the diode to increase :S

i know some or all modular types use the cpu to operate, i had a old modular usb modem that use the cpu to operate many years ago.

Back