• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Network Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRB442

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to get my wireless to go aprox. 125' to my detached garage and can't get beyond barley outside my house. I have a Linsys WRT54G wireless router and have a Linksys WPC54GS card in my laptop plus 3 other pc's wireless and one hardwired to the router on my network. I also had a older SMC wireless router with smc cards with the same result. There is only 2 windows to go through to connect. I live in the country with open space and no major electrical wires in the area (everything is underground). There has to be a reasonable way to do this. Could I use a wireless access point WAP54G set up as a repeater right at the window with a cantena on it pointed at the garage then another access point just inside the garage? I am looking for any ideas that could accomplish this. Thanks Steve

Try putting on the Sveasoft firmware firmware on it. It has the option of greatly increasing the signal strength of the router. ALso you may want to invest in an external antennae. Also if you want to blanket the whole yard with Wireless this firmware allows you to create a mesh network if you get another wrt54g. Heck you could even get the neighbors these routers and create your own litttle neighborhood ISP and charge em.......:) Even has a hotspot feature, bandwidth limiting, vpn and loads of great stuff that you can play with. IF you want to pay the 20 bux for the latest goto sveasoft.com but they can be had legally and free from the sight listed at the beginning of the post.

Thanks for the information. I am leaning toward the wireless access point then aim a cantenna right at my garage. The wireless router is on the second floor of my house. I would put a access point (set up as a repeater) about 10' away from the router right in the window and aim the antenna directly at the garage. Would I need a second access point in the garage to cover the inside of it ( 32'x52' building)? The Linksys WAP54G access points are on sale for 59.99 after rebate this week so would be a good time to buy. What do you guys think. Thanks Steve

Last edited:
Just thought I would share what progress I have made. I bought the linksys wap54g and set it up asa repeater. I then took it down stairs and set it up in a window facing the garage. I could barley get a signal but no internet access. I had a linksys wireless range extender already so I took it out to the garage and was able to connect to the internet at 24mps. seems ok for now. I believe this wireless range extender cuts the speed in half so that would be the speed loss. My signal is 67% and quaility is 73% so this is a good start. I am posting this from my garage so I am happy with my progress. I do have a cantenna coming and will play around with it when it comes. Steve

Just did another test. I took the WAP54g set up as a repeater out of the network and was still able to connect at the same speed or better. It looks like the AP is not a player in the range of connection. I did unplug the wireless range extender and lost signal instantly. I was discounting the range of the extender because it did not do to much in the house. This promted me to not try it out in the garage. I guess I had to spend another $60 to figure this out but still cheaper than running a dedicated cable from the house to the garage underground. Steve

Back