• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon64 4200+ (Venice) & FX-57 (San Diego) Coming January?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20049

Looks like the Venice cores will be coming out first thing next year that will replace the current Winchester line. The only problem I have with this is that I hear from rumors that the only Venice cores to appear at first are the 4000+ (2.6GHz) and 4200+ (2.8GHz) model Venices which will be way outa my price range.

Anyhow, for those of you who care and were planning on a new PC or who can wait untill next month, this is something to really consider.

Ohya, the whole DDRII thing wont be happening as AMD has Socket 939 only happening all of next year which excludes DDRII support so Inquirer is getting some folks a little too excited :(

Good stuff thou :)

OC-Master

thats good news but i dont wanna keep waiting so i think ill sell the winchester what i get in a few days time once the Venice cores come down towards a 3200+ and 3500+

Steven4563 said:
thats good news but i dont wanna keep waiting so i think ill sell the winchester what i get in a few days time once the Venice cores come down towards a 3200+ and 3500+

Some guys on News Groups believe the 4000+ is supposed to be the big overclocker of 2005 for people on a semi budget. Appearently the Venice cores can reach 3GHz on air with little problems or next to none.

Still, the 4000+ will cost around $500~$600 CAD even after the price drop which really sucks.

OC-Master

Sentential said:
Eeeeexxxelent. AMD just gave me yet another reason to sell my Winchester 3200+

LOL,

I'm almost tempted to buy a Winchester just to hold me over six to eight months untill the Venice chips fall in price.

OC-Master

tell me about it :( oh well ill just get my winchester and that on thursday night and see what it can do im sure its gonna be an improvement over my t-bred :D

I'am waiting till after the 1st of the yr I really want SLI or a PCI-x setup. Plus I want the 939 socket board's to mature alittle more.

Ill believe it when i see it.

The FX-57 won't be out till summer next year at least, it's only just come out.

I wouldn't expect to see any new cores soon.

You lot are crazy. Selling a Winchester for one? lol suppose those 500 extra 3dmarks are all thats important these days.

I'll just be happy to see steady 3.0 ghz overclock's on air by summer on A64's.

as far as DDR2 and AMD, I dont think its gonna happen for a long time, there is no need performance wise for AMD to go there yet, AMD strives on low latency memory and DDR 2 is anything but that.
AMD's 64 does not need a crapload of bandwidth to be worth anything in performance (Socket754) was perfect...socket 939 just adds the bells and whistles of dual channel, but its still very low latency aimed.

OC-Master said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20049

Looks like the Venice cores will be coming out first thing next year that will replace the current Winchester line. The only problem I have with this is that I hear from rumors that the only Venice cores to appear at first are the 4000+ (2.6GHz) and 4200+ (2.8GHz) model Venices which will be way outa my price range.

Anyhow, for those of you who care and were planning on a new PC or who can wait untill next month, this is something to really consider.

Ohya, the whole DDRII thing wont be happening as AMD has Socket 939 only happening all of next year which excludes DDRII support so Inquirer is getting some folks a little too excited :(

Good stuff thou :)

OC-Master

Last I saw, it requires socket 900 for DDR2.

Grov said:
I wouldn't expect to see any new cores soon.

The SSE3 A64's are due out very soon, which mean a new core... new A64 cores are pretty common, compared to P4's. They change one fairly large thing, in say.. the memory controller and BAM! it becomes a new core. lol.
;)

Just one cautionary note - the new revision is being announced early next year it does not mean they are actually being released. It might just be that they announce they are being released late first quarter! I happen to think that once SSDOI is perfected then we may then see close to the elusive 3GHz on very good quality air cooling systems.
Another point is that a 4200+ would more likely be have to be 2.6Ghz and 1MB of L2 cache rather than 2.8GHz and 512KB L2 cache. As at present we are only at the 3500+ stage (2.2Ghz) for 90nm I think it is more realistic to expect a maximum of 4000+ (2.6Ghz and 512KB of L2 cache) upon initial release.

Last edited:
OC Detective said:
Just one cautionary note - the new revision is being announced early next year it does not mean they are actually being released. It might just be that they announce they are being released late first quarter! I happen to think that once SSDOI is perfected then we may then see close to the elusive 3GHz on very good quality air cooling systems.
Another point is that a 4200+ would more likely be have to be 2.6Ghz and 1MB of L2 cache rather than 2.8GHz and 512KB L2 cache. As at present we are only at the 3500+ stage (2.2Ghz) for 90nm I think it is more realistic to expect a maximum of 4000+ (2.6Ghz and 512KB of L2 cache) upon initial release.

Yeah i agree.

Im sure AMD will save 2.8ghz for the FX-57.

shouldnt the 2.6GHz venice be the 4200+ and the 2.8 the 4400+ this is what I see on a website showing amd's roadmap. There may not be any lower speed Venice since amd can make the cheaper winchesters for that. when and if amd ever makes lower speed venices or if the 2.6GHz 4200+ drops below $200, ill upgrade again. There is no point in me paying $500+ for a 2.6GHz that does 3GHz when my $160 3000+ does 2.6GHz. 400MHz(plus venice optimizations) would be worth maybe 1500 marks and that probably includes also upgrading to tccd ram for 1:1 action at hopefully around 275fsb too. when prices of both drop, I will get that two and look forward to breaking 22k with my ti4200 and 23.5k with my 9500np and additional boosts in my gaming fps, but it could be 2 years before 4200+ drops below $200

Overclocker550 said:
shouldnt the 2.6GHz venice be the 4200+ and the 2.8 the 4400+ this is what I see on a website showing amd's roadmap. There may not be any lower speed Venice since amd can make the cheaper winchesters for that. when and if amd ever makes lower speed venices or if the 2.6GHz 4200+ drops below $200, ill upgrade again. There is no point in me paying $500+ for a 2.6GHz that does 3GHz when my $160 3000+ does 2.6GHz. 400MHz(plus venice optimizations) would be worth maybe 1500 marks and that probably includes also upgrading to tccd ram for 1:1 action at hopefully around 275fsb too. when prices of both drop, I will get that two and look forward to breaking 22k with my ti4200 and 23.5k with my 9500np and additional boosts in my gaming fps, but it could be 2 years before 4200+ drops below $200
I doubt it bro. AMD is gonna get E-die out ASAP. Everyone knows that there is something seriously ****ed up with the D-die Wincehsters when it comes to stability.

Yes correct the Venice will replace the Winchester across all models from 3000+ up. (assuming the lower frequency ones are not phased out!). They will not be just say 4000+ up. This is a cpu revision remember, so affects all 939's.

Back