• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soldering memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moho

I wanna title tooo !
has anyone tried to solder new DDR memory onto their cards from like a stick of 512MB ddr desktop memory? look as if they have the same amount of pins.
would it work?
i heard of burnt memory, maybe this could repair their cards?
tell me what you think!

maybe if you had one of the old ati rage's or certain 3dfx or even early diamond multimedia cards... they all had slots to add in more ram... but they were OEM specific... and sometimes VERY hard to come by... but often cheaper than buying a new card just by popping in a new ram chip in one of hte open slots...

nope, all ram on the gfx card must operate at the same speed, with the same timings, with the same voltage and be the same type of ram (BGA ram typically). ram from a stick is just not compatible in too many ways with gfx card memory.

it has done before....

guy on xtreme systems took memory from a 5900 and put it on a 9800pro. it was one of those mod of the year type things though. involved hundreds of connections.

zabomb4163 said:
it has done before....

guy on xtreme systems took memory from a 5900 and put it on a 9800pro. it was one of those mod of the year type things though. involved hundreds of connections.
but that wasnt ram from a stick, and it must have been rated for the same speed/voltage

Would it ever be possible to buy a 6800U and take their memory out and put it on an x800xt-pe? Then you'd have great memory and a great core all in one. :cool:

The memory has to run the same speed, latency and be the same pin count. I have seen this topic at least twice a year since I have been a member here. It is an interesting topic, and it does make one wonder why they dont make the cards memory upgradeable anymore like they did back in the late 90's, but the conclusion is always that it just wouldnt make fiscal sense for the oem's to do that since they have us paying $200-$500 every 6 months to a year for a new card with new technology.

Back